Kindle Paperwhite gets high-dpi display, better type

No but:

PaPiRus - the ePaper Screen HAT for your Raspberry Pi

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pisupply/papirus-the-epaper-screen-hat-for-your-raspberry-p

(Which I backed)

2 Likes

Wow… I was joking about “instructions to build your own e-reader using a Rasberry Pi,” and that might soon be possible. I find buttons indispensible, so I am looking at some Android gaming tablets with joysticks and buttons, such as the JXD S7800B, as possible e-readers. I am also considering a second Iriver Story HD for when the first one finally stops working.

Buttons for what? The Kindle Voyage has buttons.

Buttons for not having to use the touchscreen. I have proprioceptive issues. I have tried using touchscreens, but haven’t found touchscreen devices that let users disable complex gestures and easily-accidentally-triggered painful flashing zooming gestures.

Microsoft has instructions on how to disable some of these gestures in Windows 8 devices, but the required control panel options aren’t available in the one Windows 8.1 device I have tried.

Kindles don’t have complex gestures. They have touch and swipe. The Voyage has a haptic button on either side of the screen as well.

Okay. I haven’t tried one of the new Kindles. I have tried a Nook, which went haywire and started zooming. I would also need to deal with file conversion and (re)organization.

The buttons look this this:

And upthread they are described as

2 Likes

Use Calibre.

2 Likes

Then I’d really need to deal with file conversion and reorganization. :stuck_out_tongue:

And I’d still need to deal with incompatible files:

DJVU support is only for converting DJVU files that contain embedded text.

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#what-formats-does-app-support-conversion-to-from

(Between Calibre and iBooks, I’ve had enough of the e-book-library nonsense, and just want to use folders. Calibre was Calibre. iBooks used to keep users from changing titles, so we had to deal with the different title formats different uploaders to the Internet Archive, etc. used. iBooks eventually allowed us to change titles, but once we deleted one book, it would transfer the title, author info, etc. to another book, creating all sorts of trouble.)

Calibre just puts them in folders and has a database.

If you’re using djvu, you should just give up. That’s a dead format that no one new will support ever.

1 Like

When I tried Calibre, it stripped the titles from each file, and substituted its own gibberish [apparently derived from bad metadata]. And I need djvu. Some of my files are in djvu. Some of these aren’t available in pdf, except by converting to pdf. It takes less space than pdf and djview doesn’t crash as often as pdf readers do.

P.S. On that note, I just tried FBreader on my computer with some pdfs and epubs. It couldn’t open the pdfs, and deleted the one epub, without even putting it in the trash. It was impossible to read the epub, because it kept scrolling, way too fast and way too sensitive. :frowning:

P.P.S. It doesn’t look like there’s any e-book-reader software that would work on my computer and on a tablet. So I need to continue to organize everything by folders, not reader-specific e-book libraries.

Calibre will rename the file to whatever title you give it or, if you download metadata, what you approve from the download. It goes into a directory structure though and you can easily back it all up.

Djvu is a dead format. No one adds support for it any more than they do for wordstar. It’s dead and buried.

1 Like

It’s quite superior to PDF in many ways. It makes smaller files. It is relatively popular in Russia. Not sure if I’d call its demise so fast.
Edit: Also, the decoders/readers tend to behave quite faster than for PDF. How could that monstrosity win the format wars?

1 Like

Agree, and the strongly rumored 13" iPad will be even better! Can’t wait,

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.