KISS biopic will focus on the band's early years

Originally published at: KISS biopic will focus on the band's early years | Boing Boing

I was hoping that since KISS were going on a “farewell tour,” that maybe we’d see less of them after it was over. Apparently not. There will probably be a franchise of cyborg KISS touring after they are all too old to walk and the money will be direct deposited into their accounts and those of their offspring.

3 Likes

As long as there are still functioning neurons with the DNA of Gene Simmons, they will squeeze every last $ out of their fame as possible. Even if they are in a vat.

3 Likes

Sometimes, just the year a band formed is somewhat surprising.

The Doors - 1963
Led Zeppelin - 1968
KISS - 1973

For some reason, I want to add maybe 5 years to each of those, but I suppose it makes sense given the few years of obscurity that many bands face early on.

2 Likes

What happens in the darkness will surely reach the light of day.

1 Like

I might’ve been the only kid in my grade school who didn’t like KISS, or at least it seemed that way sometimes.

I do find it interesting how their makeup changed slightly over the years, similar to how ICP’s makeup slowly morphed.

3 Likes

“Kiss -1973” - Not suprising (or original) at all really when you think ablut it.

Released on June 16, 1972 , David Bowie’s “The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars” is a concept album which tells the story of the fictional rock star Ziggy Stardust. (Wikipedia)

3 Likes

yeah, i hated them at the time, too, but i had to grudgingly admit that “Rock and Roll All Night” was super catchy. When “Beth” came out i finally found a song of theirs i could say i really liked. Now, of course, i get why they were so big – they really took Alice Cooper’s theatrical look and stage show idea and turned the knob to 11. but now omg, i’m so sick to death of them again, lol. full circle!

4 Likes

Same here. They have a handful of songs I do like, maybe just for the songwriting craft behind them.

I did enjoy watching “KISS Meets The Phantom of the Park” though.

3 Likes

That was what sort of brought me around when I was a kid. I still didn’t like KISS but I was still very young at the time and they were oddly scary to me. The movie made me realize for the first time that they were guys in makeup, which I thought was cool.

Never did come around to their music, though.

2 Likes

Around 1976 I got into Kiss basically because everyone else my age was. I bought a few of their albums, but by “Detroit Rock City” I realized almost all their songs were so formulaic (verse, chorus, verse, chorus, short (shitty) solo, chorus - rinse/repeat), that their music just sucked. It was kinda like listening to 70’s Top 40 music with added - but not very good - electric guitar.

1 Like

Simmons actually has a Trademark on the dollar-sign emblazoned money bag, which means that The Teenage Fanclub had to pay him for the cover of their Bandwagonesque album (which is one of my favourite album covers). What’s doubly annoying is - as far as I can tell - he was in the right to do so for the purposes of trademark protection.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.