On this day, in 1972, Ziggy Stardust touched down on planet Earth and began jiving us that we were voodoo

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/10/on-this-day-in-1972-ziggy-st.html

8 Likes
9 Likes

I had the great pleasure to sing this song on stage—starting with an avant garde experimental poetry replete with an interpretive dancer, before sliding into belting a straight cover—before an audience of a few hundred folks I share community with. They rushed the stage when done, and I got to live my rock and roll fantasy big time.

Thank you David!

11 Likes

wow, that was great!

6 Likes

Imagine borrowing this CD from your girlfriend in the 21st century and, on first listen, feeling the same inclusive, freaky, creative voodoo of 30 years earlier and realizing that you aren’t the only one watching the stars for signs of intelligent life.

10 Likes

Roger That!

9 Likes
6 Likes

I miss that guy.

11 Likes

Though if one had listened to Hunky Dory’s “Queen Bitch” (released two months prior), I expect one might have had a good inkling of what was to come (just a guess, I was non-existent at the time).

7 Likes

True. And I hesitated writing that for that very reason. But I’ve read accounts of that night. There were only about 60 people in the room and even the ones who’d come to hear Bowie didn’t really know what to make of it, although by the end, many realized that it was game changing.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I bet that night was pure magic! Those 60 people are so lucky!

6 Likes

The footage in Scorcese’s “No Direction Home” Dylan doco, where young things leaving one of the “electric” performances in the UK is one of my favourites. They’re all full of disappointment, rage, vitriol and criticism. They simply had no idea they had just witnessed a (the?) key moment in rock history. I wonder what they think when they look back on the footage.

3 Likes

I just love the lushness that the 12-string guitar adds.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.