Kitchen science: Unexplained cooking phenomena

Diagonally yes, but not corner to corner.

4 Likes

Surely that should be “steak-y” not “steak-ie”? Both equally made up, but -y has got to be more adjective-y.

Bacon dipped in maple syrup…

Salivating Homer Simpson GIF

2 Likes

It’s probably something to do with the freshness of the eggs, but unless you have your own hens it’s impossible to know how fresh your eggs are. I suspect British eggs are getting less fresh due to supply chain issues. At any rate, my experiences of peeling hard-boiled eggs, and of poaching eggs, have been notably less pleasant in recent times.

1 Like

You’d think. But we had our own hens for years and tried different methods and noted how old the eggs were, and it was still hit or miss. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

We’ve found hard boiled eggs in the pressure cooker makes eggs that the shell just falls off of. Consistently, every time, always.

8 Likes

Yes! I do science shows that include the egg in a bottle trick. For years I had to boil way more eggs than I needed in order to get enough eggs that peeled smoothly. Then I started using the pressure cooker and they are perfect every time (as long as I stand them upright on the grid. If they lay on their side they sometimes get a flat part that messes things up).

I don’t find they taste very good though. So the ones I’m going to eat I do old fashioned in a pan.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.