Kitesurfing but for huge ships to cut fuel use for cleaner trips across the ocean

Originally published at: Kitesurfing but for huge ships to cut fuel use for cleaner trips across the ocean | Boing Boing

10 Likes

12 year-old me living in Kansas would have killed for something like this to use on my Windwagon.

21 Likes

Add in some cutting edge bubble technology and we’d get even more efficient!

ETA: I commented here because I love flying kites and energy saving measures, so this article really hits the spot.

17 Likes

I remember seeing an article in the Economist about this several years ago. Why isn’t it already a widespread technology? Is there some problem with the idea in practice? Such as difficulty getting the kite into position in the first place?

11 Likes

2005, in fact: Sailing ships with a new twist

8 Likes

Glad some tech bro came up with the idea of using the wind to propel ships across the sea. An essential innovation. :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

Yeah, but now there’s motors, for when the wind ain’t blowing.

3 Likes

It saves on having to pay for rowers!

8 Likes

It’s probably being sabotaged by the fossil fuel fuckers.

8 Likes

It would have to be fairly sophisticated software to operate as described. The wind is constantly shifting in many subtle ways that require a lot of attention. I imagine it would be a major PITA to retrieve the kite if it flops into the water.

It’s possible that the software and/or processing power has caught up with the demands of the task. It’s also possible that it hasn’t yet.

6 Likes

Discounts for rowers on cruise ships! /s

4 Likes

Yeah, I also remember this idea from back then. It looks like it’s a different company though, the one from 2005 is ‘SkySails’ out of Germany while this latest one is ‘Airseas’ out of France.

3 Likes

That sounds like fun to test.

6 Likes

This reminds me of the clipper ships owned by the wealthy in Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi

they had these parasails as well which seemed like a nice bit of plausible near-future dystopian tech, now being realized as we plummet into that possibly bleak future…

3 Likes

A ship? With “sails?” What a time to be alive

Sailors, 2023…BCE

6 Likes

So. Sails. They reinvented sails.

4 Likes

video for the bbs

8 Likes

Ben Franklin allegedly figured out he could use a kite to help him swim across a pond: The Time Ben Franklin Casually Invented a Form of Kitesurfing | Mental Floss Also, there is a newer company attempting to erect sails from cargo containers: https://www.outsailshipping.com/

2 Likes

Oh… those are “encouraged volunteers”

3 Likes

3 Likes