Koch Brothers buy ads on Daily Show, Jon Stewart mercilessly skewers them

Kind of tame skewering, actually. He could have gone on and on before ever getting close to “merciless”.
But it’s just too damn scary when you know every word of it was true. Ack!

1 Like

Or, easiest of all, simply install this in your browser: https://mediahint.com/. Problem solved.

Huh, I’ve been pronouncing “Koch” wrong. I thought it sounded like “cock”, not “coke”.

I think I prefer my pronunciation.

6 Likes

When we live in that scenario, we’ll find out. I guess. But it’s good of you to ask. I’ll just go with “if not Koch, whoever it was who had bought the politicos” for the moment.

2 Likes

That would be the Star Trek Mirror Universe Stewart? The one with the goatee? I’m surprised you have to ask.

2 Likes

Isn’t there a USA pronounciation which would sound like ‘catch’?

Just what I was coming here to ask. Thank you.

Unfortunately Last Week Tonight’s clips on youtube don’t work in the UK either. Proxmate deals with that, but there’s no better than CC in that regard.

1 Like

So we can expect to see Jesus saddled up on a Brontosaurus?

Yeah, like Mayor Ed Koch…

Now I am just confused.

That’s how I always thought it was pronounced. My new TV provider doesn’t sub out American ads for Canadian ones on the US networks (they just redirect the OTA feed, which is great), so I’ve seen a ton of these Koch ads lately. I, too, was surprised to find that I had been pronouncing it wrong in my head this whole time.

As someone who’s last name rhymes with Koch and shares three of the same letters, believe me when I tell you that almost no one pronounces it correctly in the US. I’m guessing the situation is somewhat better in Germany.

And which type of charitable gift do you think receives more of the Koch’s money? So they throw some crumbs, relatively speaking, to cultural institutions here and there–when you work directly to undermine things such as net neutrality, corporate regulation, to “oppose any legislation relating to climate change that includes a net increase in state or local government revenue”, and universal healthcare, well, then fuck them. Whatever grey area your implicit judgement offers to them is far, far outshadowed by the shit they fling.
Maybe they give money to cultural institutions so that when they’ve fully enacted their political mindset, the libraries and museums will only be available to rich whitey.

4 Likes

What @wrecksdart said.

Billionaires face an interesting challenge most of us will never know—the question of what to spend such fantastical fortunes on. It’s almost impossible to spend that much money on oneself, since one person can only go through so many fine meals and mansions and yachts and sports cars and rocket ship rides.

At some point most billionaires realize that they really can’t take it with them, so they use a portion of their money to buy a measure of immortality. That’s why we have cultural institutions called “The Getty Center” or “The Smithsonian” or “The Gugenheim.” The people who founded all those museums and concert halls probably did have an appreciation for the arts, but at least part of their motivation wasn’t all that different from the Pharaohs of old.

7 Likes

See also most college/university campuses.

Look, I’m still willing to give it a go, myself. So if you’ve got some spare billions sitting around…
At the very least, I’m hoping said billionaires of the world take a hint from Elon Musk to help get us off this planet, as opposed to carving out some tiny plot of earth and throwing a nice piece of marble on it.
I’ve always been a big fan of this kinda nutty billionaire:

4 Likes

When I was in high school, I really enjoyed my Drama classes. Ended up being a Theatre Arts major. But the theater itself at my high school was hand-built by the students out of a disused classroom, with curtains scavenged from the MGM Grand (after a fire, IIRC), and rows of folding wood-and-cast-iron theater seats that were obtained from god-knows-what 19th century music hall. We only had three rows of risers since the room wasn’t very big, and the ceiling was all of 10 feet high. The proscenium was sanded-and-painted plywood, and the whole thing was a horrific firetrap that was gutted a few years after I graduated. I used to dream of striking it rich, and bankrolling a proper theater at my high school for future generations of kids to use. But then I thought somebody might want to name it after me, which struck me as gauche, somehow, so I always planned that I’d donate the money to the school under the stern condition that they name the theater something like the Corky McGillicuddy Memorial Arts-n-Fun Laffatorium or whatever. Rather than glorify my own name, I’d much prefer to tweak the nose of propriety in such a juvenile way whenever possible.

7 Likes

Reminds me of the IT building at Harvard that was paid for by Gates and Allen which they named after their mothers. Nice.

1 Like

Everyone knows Jesus rides a unicorn.

Last Week Tonight usually go live a few days later in the UK I think, but Daily Shows are permablocked