Korean 'Uncle Service' lets you hire thugs to intimidate your kids' bullies

“Pedro offers you his protection.”

8 Likes

What does the ‘Aunt Service’ do?

3 Likes

I have to admit - as a parent of 2 kids decidedly off the path to jockdom - there is something appealing about this.

I understand the real way to solve this is to foster empathy and respect from an early age. But - some kids don’t get the memo (I blame crap parents) - and can really mess up a sensitive kid’s self esteem.

Likely to be deemed illegal in North America.

1 Like

craig-ferg-go-wrong

7 Likes

This kinda reminds me of Three O’Clock High:

3 Likes

This article brought to mind a scene from the otherwise abysmal second season of “True Detective”:

1 Like

From what Korean friends have told me, Korean schools sound pretty messed up. Apparently, for example, if one doesn’t give sufficient gifts to one’s child’s teachers, they’ll bully the child.

2 Likes

Sounds like Catholic elementary school

3 Likes

“Auntie Service” would spread gossip through female gossip networks that the bully’s mother is not a good mother.

13 Likes

Not being a minor would probably increase the penalties for the ‘uncle’; but if the situation is such that there’s a market for private sector bully deterrence it would appear that intimidation and feelings are harm are not an enforcement priority, or bullying would be slightly less popular.

1 Like

It’s good work if you can get it.

1 Like

If they’d follow the American Plan and give the students guns, everything would work out fine.

2 Likes

Fixed that for you?

“the silent treatment”

3 Likes

In America the bullies are all in power so I’d imagine they would take issue with this.

As someone that was mercilessly bullied throughout my schooling I would have loved to be able to avail myself of this kind of service. I doubt I would have been able to afford it, though.

2 Likes

1 Like

[citation needed]

Only if they give the guns to the good guys though.

FRIENDS, Korean, Our Lives in Korea, Korea: Hainaim, 2010.

I steel feel it was a little broad of a statement. Yes, practices like that unfortunately do exist in Korea and are quite ingrained in society, but at the same time, I doubt it is accurate to imply that every Korean teacher is a corrupt bully.