Korean 'Uncle Service' lets you hire thugs to intimidate your kids' bullies

It’s good work if you can get it.

1 Like

If they’d follow the American Plan and give the students guns, everything would work out fine.

2 Likes

Fixed that for you?

“the silent treatment”

3 Likes

In America the bullies are all in power so I’d imagine they would take issue with this.

As someone that was mercilessly bullied throughout my schooling I would have loved to be able to avail myself of this kind of service. I doubt I would have been able to afford it, though.

2 Likes

1 Like

[citation needed]

Only if they give the guns to the good guys though.

FRIENDS, Korean, Our Lives in Korea, Korea: Hainaim, 2010.

I steel feel it was a little broad of a statement. Yes, practices like that unfortunately do exist in Korea and are quite ingrained in society, but at the same time, I doubt it is accurate to imply that every Korean teacher is a corrupt bully.

It wasn’t so simple as “corrupt bully.” I don’t think anyone thought of it as bullying, even though that’s what it was. My friend’s family had been out of the country for a long time, so when they returned to Korea and put one of their kids in school there, they had forgotten a lot of standard practices. So when the teachers started being really hard on the kid, it took a while for them to realize it was because of their lack of gifts - all of which was an accepted, standard practice.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.