Krampus, the origins of a Yuletide monster

Originally published at: Krampus, the origins of a Yuletide monster | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Horror Devil GIF by My German Shirt

I watched that last night… biggest take away is that it’s not a pre-Christian figure like some claim, but was pretty much a mythology from the Christian era.

8 Likes

I was hoping for a “How Pepsi invented the Krampus” story.

6 Likes

None of that, though she does address the craze for Krampus more recently with Krampus parades being a tourist draw and a whole bunch of horror films about Krampus… so that’s a kind of commercialization. But the earliest references seem to be about the 15th century I think she said… so, predates Pepsi, at least!

8 Likes

Bitten by a radioactive cramp?

6 Likes

Yes.

Yeeesh, gimme Morris Dancers any day.

5 Likes

Your average Krampus is a really good individual, once you get to know them. Give Krampus a chance.

5 Likes

Or, you know, a child.

5 Likes

Not to mention that a christmas devil has a certain… sex appeal…

This one here is my favorite:

Look at the fellow in the basket. “Nyehehehe. I´ve been naughteeeeeee…”

8 Likes

Good timing, since i watched this again last night.

3 Likes

He’s looking forward to some, um, recreational punishment.

The place we took riding lessons is near a convenience store called (snicker) S&M Market. I told a friend, and he LOL’d. “A pack of Marlboro Lights and a light whipping, please!” was his eventual response. The next time we were there, I told the lady behind the counter (a cool-looking middle aged lady with a smoke in her hand who’s Seen It All) what my friend’d said when I told him the name of the place, and she LHAO :grinning:

OOOOOOooooooOOOO! I’ll hafta see if I can hunt down that one! Sounds XLNT!

3 Likes

1 Like

7 Likes

Jolly Old St Nicked and en-tumblr’d!

1 Like

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuSrajd9D8k

4 Likes

ho, Ho, HORRROR!

5 Likes

ALSO: all the other Monstrum videos

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.