Krampus trashes the horror potential of traditional mythology in a film that's neither funny nor scary

“Lep in the 'hood, up to no good!”

1 Like

At least somebody got it right.

1 Like

They should get this guy to review some James Bond movies. Most of them stray very, very far from Fleming’s books.

4 Likes

Yep. This is now a must-watch every year.

1 Like

There are plenty of other reviews out there that comment on how this horror comedy is neither scary nor funny. I appreciate that this reviewer touched on those points, but drew upon their expertise to give a critique we couldn’t get elsewhere.

2 Likes

I always like the Bohemian take on the tradition. Rather than have a parade of Krampuses, just hire a troupe of performers dressed as St. Nicholas, a ‘devil’ (they don’t use the Krampus name down there), and, more recently, an angel. Have them stop by your house, let the angel and saint give your kids candy, and have the devil completely scare the shit out of them.

One of my adult students in Prague mentioned how it was traditional to give the performers a swig of something alcoholic when they came by your place. He mentioned that it was good if you scheduled your visit later in the day, as by then the performers would have made several stops, been properly soused and “You’ll get a much better, much scarier devil!”

3 Likes

Ridenour and I share a home town. I shall translate the title for our countrymen:

“That Shit’s Ignurnt and it Wadden’e’n Scary.”

It’s the brain sandwiches.

Nice article - thanks for writing!

How about a regular feature during the Christmas season where BB features reviews of all the other Krampus movies: Krampus: The Christmas Devil, Krampus the Reckoning, and A Christmas Horror Story.

My personal favorite, though a TV show, is the Krampus episode of the Aquabats Super Show.

4 Likes

Even the trailer was baffling and painful to watch. Needless to say, I wouldn’t sit through any more of it.

I don’t know whether to admire the sheer bravado it took to jump into undertaking not merely ONE really tricky genre (comedy) but TWO (horror). Sounds like a concept only Simon Pegg and team could have potentially been trusted with.

Austrian here. Haven’t seen the movie, don’t plan to. But I think this has given me the first personal impression of the infamous “cultural appropriation”. There’s something kinda gross about having a local-ish beloved kid’s myth turned into a random Hollywood blockbuster-of-the-year. Vienna is currently plastered with ads for this movie like it’s a big new thing. No thanks.

That being said, watch out for the Krampus today and I hope there’ll be lotsa candy from Nikolo tomorrow :wink:

PS: @TobinL, yes, Rare Exports is the definitive Xmas movie. For all time.

3 Likes

Surely Kevin Smith could just write his own screenplay… Jay and Silent Bob are very, very bad boys after all.

1 Like

I like the Krampus episode of the Grimm TV series. The monster wasn’t very Krampusy to look at, but he was scary and cruel in his punishment of naughty kids.

1 Like

And the twist about what he is the rest of the year was an interesting take both on Grimm’s monster-people and the Krampus in general.

1 Like

Very much disagreed. I thought it was a lot of fun, kept the German Christmas spirit, and was creepy-funny in that classic PG-13 way like Gremlins. The Krampus himself was super creepy and not the slightest bit charming (that’s a good thing… I was afraid he’d be a big horned guy who does bad things but he’s got a heart of gold, or some malarky. No, he’s just the Krampus). I really liked it, and thought it was worth checking out.

1 Like

Not at all. The grandmother in the movie is German and speaks German throughout, and all of the creepy stuff is full-on Krampusy. I’m not sure why that’s “gross”, anymore than any other adaptation of the Krampus myth.

1 Like

That’s entirely fair. Good point.

1 Like

It all depends on the option, but if it shared any characters or ideas at all with the other script there’s no way. And, given the scope of even putting a film of the same genre around the holidays would give lawyers a reason to smile about their holiday bonuses.

Fun fact: titles are not copyrightable.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.