Krampus trashes the horror potential of traditional mythology in a film that's neither funny nor scary

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Just watch Rare Exports instead. It mixes Santa and Krampus together for a fun tale. Best Christmas movie EVER.

15 Likes

Bummer. I was kinda looking forward to this based off the trailers.

1 Like

Huh. Shows what you know.

1 Like

Kevin Smith (THAT Kevin Smith) had his own plans for a straight-horror Krampus movie. By the end of negotiations, it seems like Mr. Gene Simmons (THAT Gene Simmons) wasn’t interested in either a Christmas horror movie, or a Krampus horror movie. If Mr. Simmons optioned the screenplay, Mr. Smith won’t be able to make his movie for a while…

2 Likes

Depends on how long the option is for, it could only be a year.

2 Likes

Have lived in Finland, can confirm.

3 Likes

Best to stick to authentic interpretations of traditional mythology for a good horror flick, I always say.

14 Likes

@Falcor

The 'Show full post button is pulling through the article from here:

http://boingboing.net/2015/12/02/krampus-trashes-the-horror-pot.html

But it’s the CIA manual story in the actual article…

The CIA’s Simple Sabotage Field Manual is a guide to “purposeful stupidity”

Am I missing a joke?

2 Likes

Maybe…

5 Likes

That sabotage manual is almost perfect, but could you change the front cover to cornflower blue and adjust the font size to 11.5px arial? 1.5 lines spaced, natch.

(There is a special hell for me, isn’t there)

8 Likes

Wasn’t there a memo? Can someone get @Falcor that memo please?

5 Likes

We’ll need the CEOs approval and that means running it past the board of directors and they don’t meet again until next Tuesday but even then Mable is on holiday so we’re looking at the beginning of next year before we can get it past them into the Stamp verification sub-committee and you know how anal they can be about forms if they’re not completed in triplicate and the only reason Mable had to take that holiday was because of the stress due to fighting the triplicate rule.

Uhhh… Krampus.

2 Likes

Did I just wonder into the thread to catalog all the other threads ?

Oh check that out, the CIA stole our manual.

6 Likes

I haven’t seen the film and don’t really plan to, but given how heavily this review leans on the inauthentic details, I kind of feel like the reviewer (a Krampus scholar) is mostly put off by the fact that this isn’t a “true” Krampus story, rather than on the film’s own merits.

3 Likes

I’m not sure why it should matter, the character is in the public domain. So who cares if Smith or someone else decides to make another Krampus movie? Why go through Simmons? I’m not sure why he’s important or what his role is that’s keeping Smith from doing his own thing.

Yes. You’re one ring above the people whose favorite holiday moment is this one. Look down occasionally and I’ll wave at you.

Edit to add:
In retrospect I feel like Papa Lazarou’s return, a one-off sketch from “The League Of Gentlemen” highlights the possible challenges of a film about Krampus. Papa Lazarou appearing as Father Christmas is funny to those of us who have the prerequisite context of him as an anti-clown leading an insane circus. Without that context the above clip could be anything from baffling to outright horrifying.
If someone wanted to make a Krampus horror comedy I think it would be really hard to provide the necessary background context needed to make Krampus funny…although the reward could be a film that, like Papa Lazarou’s return, is both terrifying and funny, or that manages to be both at the same time. It would be a brilliant paraphrase of Mel Brooks “Horror is when I cut my little finger, comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.”

1 Like

How did you find out my Christmas show? (The circus has come to toooown)

2 Likes

Well, Smith wrote a screenplay and Simmons optioned it, effectively taking
it out of circulation. If Smith tried to make the movie on his own, Simmons
could sue him. Simmons likes to sue people, apparently. Until the option is
released, Simmons owns the story, and Simmons ultimately decided not to
make that movie. I believe Smith has changed it something like Anti-Claus,
and had to come up with a new storyline, or else that is the script that
Simmons optioned. But whatever, Hollywood biz…

3 Likes

Ah i gotcha. Very lame indeed.

1 Like