Kumail Nanjiani defends Scorsese and Tarantino's opinions of the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Hear hear. Just because art is subjective doesn’t mean that criticism is invalid. Criticizing something is not inherently “yucking someone’s yum” or shitting on someone else’s taste, it’s discussing qualities of art and culture. If someone says something is a turd, as long as they can say why it’s a turd it’s a valid opinion, and someone who likes that turd should be able to say why it’s not a turd, or why it’s a lovable turd. And it should be taken as an obvious prior that of course it’s just someone’s opinion.

3 Likes

I’m personally not entertained by the pulpy male power fantasies profferred by either Tarantino or Marvel, but I can respect that they work for some folks, and I can respect the frustrations some creators have with the market dominance of corporate-owned IP.

It seems like the auteurs I vibe more with - Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Mikaela Coel, Werner Herzog, or Rian Johnson, have fewer qualms about working both within and without corporate -owned IPs. And true greats like David Lynch seem to not think it’s worth the energy to tear down popular cinema in a blanket superficial way.

2 Likes

Well he did have his moment where he criticized that people were viewing movies on phones. Everyone laughed at the snobby grandpa, but he had a good point.

Opinions are like assholes… everyone has one.

Tarantino and Scorsese were never heard to complain about the endless action films made in the 80’s and 90’s that garnered all the money and spawned countless sequels. I’m also wondering if Scorsese complained about the endless westerns made from the 30’s through the 60’s.

Ultimately it strikes me as sour grapes by the two of them and they’re just shitting on what the people prefer these days. Which is what famous auteurs have always done, so I guess this is nothing new. Feel free to look down your noses at super hero movies, guys. I’m sure one day they’ll stop being as popular as they have been.

1 Like

it’s gossipy clickbait

“… and who said what about what who said when …”

Absolutely. I also have no desire to rewatch any of them. I watched most of them but it never occurred to me to watch any of them more than once

It is so strange to see the person I still think of as a video game podcaster and mid-tier comedian (mid-tier in terms of audience draw, not commenting on the quality of his work) as a leading man and genuine movie star

1 Like

Unfortunately, this is nothing new. For the last 15+ years studios have been putting money into big tentpole movies. They are a safe bet, especially with franchises, all at the expense of smaller “riskier” movies. And it doesn’t help that the cost of making a movie has increased dramatically. For example, “A Man Called Otto” cost $50m to make, and “Everything Everywhere All at Once” cost $25m to make-- tho these are outliers on box office returns. Meanwhile, “Wakanda Forever” cost $250m and has so far returned $835m. No doubt that’s why we’re seeing an explosion of higher quality TV series. It’s all about money.

I mean, yes? It’s not the first movie I think of for him but I did enjoy it.

1 Like

I liked Hugo. I thought it was a bit too orange and teal, though. Don’t have the equipment to watch it 3d, unfortunately.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.