I can't recommend you watch 'The Suicide Squad'

Originally published at: I can't recommend you watch 'The Suicide Squad' | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Was going on my list of things to maybe watch on my next intercontinental flight…

8 Likes

I did hear good things about it as long as expectations were low. Either way my intention was to watch this not at the theater but at home once its streaming somewhere for free

11 Likes

Rats Crying GIF by The Suicide Squad

There is an avalanche of talent in this movie, but no story that lets them shine, other than the Ratcatcher 2. She makes it worth watching to me. All the others just left me with a constant, repetitive feeling of anguish that they weren’t given anything to do worthy of their talents.

Definitely not worth the risk for the theater, but nothing is right now. Things are heating back up, stay safe, vaccinated or not.

8 Likes

Rat Catcher 2 and King Shark are could handle a TV series. Peacemaker? meh.

15 Likes

Yeah, but why bother with a King Shark show when Ron Funches’ King Shark on Harley Quinn is so good?

11 Likes

The animated series destroys this movie. Harley Quinn is really a great show.

12 Likes

Peacemaker just seems like a trite trope of a character/anti-hero/edgelord. There’s nothing interesting or new there, i hate the character design/look, and while Cena is likeable as a person i don’t see him carrying a story on his shoulders as a main actor.

4 Likes

I assume you’re referring to the Robot Chicken DC special?

7 Likes

Did you not read the second sentence?

2 Likes

Yeah there’s half a good movie in there, it was cool to see kaiju Starro. I could not have cared less about the entire Peacemaker storyline, and unfortunately that was a big part of it. Could have probably cut out Peacemaker and Rick Flag entirely and ended up with a better movie. The supporting cast carried the whole thing.

4 Likes

I enjoyed it. :man_shrugging:

16 Likes

I thought this was fantastic. Good breezy fun, you don’t really know what to expect, lots of weird characters you’ve never heard of being memorable and interesting. Some bad jokes, lots of great jokes. Can’t believe it made me invested in characters like Rick Flag and Ratcatcher 2. John Cena was great as Peacemaker, some scenes really sold me on his abilities as an actor. Harley was better than she’s ever been (except for the Harley Quinn animated show). Didn’t expect it to be so overt about American interventionism but I guess I was pleasantly surprised. Pacing was fun, this movie feels pretty nonstop.

If you think you might like it then I absolutely recommend it.

15 Likes

James Gunn brought us some pretty good Marvel movies so I don’t know that you can blame the directors. Maybe it’s just that DC is trying desperately to out-Marvel Marvel (but DARKER!) rather than just doing their own stories.

10 Likes

Spot-on. For a DC movie, I enjoyed it. There’s just always a sense of cleverness lacking, though, in those movies that somehow Marvel has managed to get right 99% of the time. But at least this one didn’t take itself seriously, which is the downfall of most Zack Snyder-produced material. This was decidedly James Gunn’s project and there were some genuinely inspired scenes and dialogue.

But yeah, please get John Cena out of my sight.

5 Likes

Yeah, honestly that this is one of the first that even seems remotely tolerable to me speaks to Gunn’s talents.

Not pooping on anyone else’s enthusiasm here, but I still probably won’t watch it. The bargain with DC films seems to be that you have to watch endless hours of trash for maybe a few minutes of good storytelling or character development. With the MCU you occasionally get a film of debatable merit (I was pretty bored by Captain Marvel, but I still enjoyed it) that is bookended by pretty spectacular films. I haven’t hated a single MCU film, but haven’t been able to stomach most of the DC stuff I’ve seen (except Shazam! Loved Shazam!). Getting invested in one film whose sequel is bound to disappoint is just not on my radar.

4 Likes

There is just so much content being created now, that I can watch plenty of quality movies and TV and never have to see another superhero movie ever again, and I’ll bet I wouldn’t even miss a thing.

7 Likes

Okaaaayyyyy

2 Likes

had a movie night at the house last friday and all four of us laughed our butts off. no complaints at all. learned long ago to never allow another person’s opinion have any effect on comic book movies…

11 Likes

Yes. I feel the animated series is everything this movie aspired to be but failed at every turn.

I saw one review comparing this movie to The Boys - but even that is a stretch given how good the latter is at shock humor.

C+ at best.

3 Likes