Lake Mead at 35% capacity - marking an all-time low

Qatar's Eight World Cup Stadiums Are Fully Air Conditioned)

It’s not a problem! They just installed friggin’ jet engine powered AC in all 8 stadiums. No problem at all! (Holy shit, what were they thinking!!)

10 Likes

Yup. But there are signs up and down I-5 in the central valley, posted on farm equipment and trailers, just off the highway, saying stuff like “no water = no food” and how restricting water for ag will devastate the family farms. What they don’t say is that all those almonds and other produce, like apricots, are being sent overseas. Maybe the second statement has some truth in it since a lot of people in California have their livelihood in ag, but it’s not like if water is restricted, people will starve, like with wheat from the Ukraine.

8 Likes

Yah, those signs are the Trump-esque dog whistle of central California. How dare the government try to keep us all from dying of dehydration rather than let them grow the highest profit margin cash crops they can based on water agreements made 100 years ago during a flood season that were intentionally oversold at the time even.

The world does not need to inundated with almonds, and we should not be growing fucking rice in the desert. In their defence though, there should not be a single golf course or lawn in California either.

8 Likes

“Come here, you see this? This is sand. You know what it’s gonna be 100 years from now? IT’S GONNA BE SAND!! YOU LIVE IN A FUCKING DESERT!”
Sam Kinison

10 Likes

astroturf is

It’s hard enough on grown-ups’ legs and joints, and much worse for children, whose bones and ligaments are still growing! :rage:

3 Likes

Absolutely fucking disgusting.

5 Likes

They also don’t say that the “family farms” are in fact huge agro-industrial enterprises owned by a small number of families like the Resnicks.

9 Likes

While I agree with you, I would think the really good, cushy turf that is being installed these days is better than nearly-dead grass on desert hardpan.

The other factor is when the fields are too wet. In he Pacific Northwest, grass fields are lush and gree - and the grass hides divots and humps that cause injuries. Having played on both, I will take turf over desert “grass” over Oregon swamp fields. :wink:

6 Likes

there is a dry season here now, but people are still apathetic enough to let the lawns go brown

having to “water” anything is kind of a new idea

3 Likes

Well, ‘all-time low’ is where it’s at all over these days, apparently.
Except for covid infections, but that’s just another kind of ‘all-time low’.

3 Likes

I took this picture in December at Echo Bay at Lake Mead. I estimated at the time that the water level was about 150 feet below the bathtub ring.

Theres an abandoned resort there, with a restaurant, boat docks, and boat ramp. The end of the boat ram is about 80 feet above the water level.

This is the abandoned boat dock in Google Earth

14 Likes

For sure! I think a lot of turf-haters may not have played on the latest. I played soccer in an indoor arena recently with the latest cushy turf, and I was really impressed. It was very comfortable, no rashes from sliding, and generally great to run on.

6 Likes

Probably still more mead than I could drink in one sitting

7 Likes

…But only by a little. :wink:

8 Likes

I’ve got ☆hic☆ faith in the Good Doctor, too!

Can’t resist poshting thish:

5 Likes

I wonder what else the falling water levels might reveal, Lake Mead being the closest large body of water to Las Vegas:

7 Likes

They even said they expect to find more corpses there
jaw

3 Likes

Who knew Las Vegas might be a place where people ran up debts they couldn’t pay back? :person_shrugging:

5 Likes

Yeah, color me
color me

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.