Landmark Theatres bans cosplay during 'Joker' opening weekend, citing security

Mandatory educational material:

8 Likes

Have you seen the movie? Just curious.

OMG. That was him?!

1 Like

Yeah! Though he was credited as “Leaf Phoenix” (I think he was jealous of his siblings’ given names: River, Rain, Summer and Liberty).

3 Likes

That’s not jealousy, that’s solidarity.

5 Likes

This controversy is inspiring some funny memes. I can’t quite tell if they are making fun of Incels or the reaction to the film or both honsetly.

3 Likes

So no on-the-job training necessary!

Except for the sad fact that he’s in a wheelchair, and looks like he’s had a stroke, he would be perfect.

Another meme: 46%20PM

5 Likes

I watched the trailer, all the previous Batman movies and the cartoon series in the 90’s. No matter how you try to slice the Joker’s origin story, it’s all a variation of “look at me! look at me! you’re not looking at me! I’m going to make you look at me!”

7 Likes

it’s a wannabe Scorsese movie with Robert De Niro in it

this is the most pretentious comic book movie ever

5 Likes

I saw the the Joker’s origin story last night but it was a different movie, it was pretty good.

6 Likes

We should brainstorm which other films would work as Joker origins

Fight Club is pretty obvious

Very Bad Things if you skipped the ending, oh wait that other character would work as Harley too :thinking:

2 Likes

Yes, the passing without incident had absolutely nothing to do with people like my colleagues and me sitting down and spending days and sometimes weeks checking source code and either dismissing problems as harmless or fixing them.

What An astonishing conscience. If we only had read your comment 20 years earlier.

1 Like

One story bandied about was too many people couldn’t pronounce Joaquin, so he started using Leaf professionally.

1 Like

While this is a particularly snotty comment, the point has some truth to it. Actually preventing violence from MRAs and other disgruntled harm-seekers takes more than thoughts and prayers.

It takes people actually looking at the conditions that foster hate, and quietly and methodically improving things., even if those improvements or avoided disasters are completely taken for granted by other people.

4 Likes

I never said it had nothing to do with the work that anyone did to prevent it. Thank you for your part in averting a catastrophe, and I’m sorry I caused you so much evident butt-hurt 20 year later with a few words.

I’m strictly talking about the hype-train:

Presumably, you and yours would have been working in the background to fix the problem regardless of the press coverage and doomsayers, as soon as it was realized that having two decimals for dates was going to cause a problem.

I would like for this to be the same. Qualified people in the background working to shut down any incel (or other) violence at a movie opening, and the fear-mongering surrounding it ending up being Chicken Little shouting in nature.

As for Y2K, it looks like we are ramping up for a sequel:

1 Like

No, we wouldn’t, in many cases at least. Because our employers wouldn’t have allotted the time.

I can show you backlogs full of genuine bugs. Bugs we have a pretty good idea about, knowing how to fix them. Unless they make a financial impact, our bosses don’t care that much. New features to write about in magazines or newsletters are more important.
There are even bugs with plenty of advance warning, where I wrote a ticket detailing the circumstances under which they will manifest. Including stuff like “new users won’t be able to to start our software when they updated their Mac. All those “audio company warns users not to update to the latest OS”-warnings that make the rounds each year? Nearly all totally avoidable.

So yeah, this “nothing happened with Y2K” is a sore point for me, and its brethren “see, the ozone hole is closing” and “lead levels the environment are going down”.

After over 40 years of this stuff: the hype is definitely necessary, because otherwise people wouldn’t pay attention and bosses and politicians wouldn’t care at all.

2 Likes

Which is why (to bring it back to the topic of the thread), if a theater wants to be pro-active about patron safety, more power to them.

3 Likes

HE ALSO DID THE ROCK

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.