Larry Harvey on Burning Man's diversity gap: 'Black folks don't like to camp as much as white folks'

When hiking, ‘well is text, and those boxes
From my perspective it is disproportionately
White sites. Let in the number of thy
Black family and extrapolating

That your first move isn’t to see not going.
These space is biracial a “radical
Guy. But the poem will be a fast-increasing
Influx though unappreciated of wealthy

By day. The black folks that idle should words
For my neighbourhood same - a frown from the
Day some are many people I feel, even
So are brought, tinker to the south garage,

And those camps etc could you black
Fillmore up. Take this paper of condescension.

Well, for one they can not say racist things. This is on par with saying that “black people like watermelon and fried chicken”. It’s stereotyping and racist.

Now, I’m not in the business of figuring out what they should do, figuring out how to be really, truly inclusive is a lot of work, a lot of work I’m not going to spend for them. Not my circus.

The only thing I will say about them is either drop “radically inclusive” pretense or do something about their whiteness problem. They can’t be /radically/ inclusive unless they are /actually/ inclusive.

3 Likes

Was it primarily a problem of the noise, or of the workshop tent location?

Pffft. You Americans, always late to the party. We’ve been dancing to the Denis d’or since about 1730.

1 Like

I don’t have a horse in this race as I am terrifyingly pale of skin and have never been to Burning Man. It seems like something that I would enjoy if everyone enjoying it were to suddenly leave me alone. It also seems about as “radical” in practice as any pop music festival and should left to its business.

I am imagining another story. In this story a group of friends, who happen to be black, gather at the beach each year to burn some stuff in a ceremony. Imagine that this ceremony is somehow allowed to expand, year after year. Wait! The story doesn’t end there! At some point, one of the organizers decides that everyone needs to head out to the nearest, emptiest redneck paradise and put on a massive psychedelic art happening with loud music and stuff aflame. I’m sure there’s more to this story, but my credulity is completely exhausted.

1 Like

Not black, but…
There has never been an article written, or a picture or a video captured that would ever make me want to go to that Assholeville in the Desert.

2 Likes

It does make for an interesting (and disturbing) mental image: busing people of different races there against their will “You’re going to burning man and you’re going to like it!”

2 Likes

In many ways, it looks better than another disproportionately white site I sometimes visit:

5 Likes

6 Likes

How is this information gleaned? Any idea?

Not many black people at Glastonbury either.

4 Likes

Sorry. Didn’t mean to hurt your brain.

1 Like

Oh, it didn’t hurt my brain, it just made it bored.

Interesting – you’re making me feel exactly the same.

3 Likes

And yet here you are… replying.

And come to think of it, saying that something is “interesting” and “boring” at the same time! One of those days, I guess.

1 Like

We all have 'em.

Just because a comedian says it, doesn’t necessarily make it true. You’d also have to see what else is going on in the joke, and what the underlying context is.

My point is to turn that question around and try and figure out why the lack of interest.

Isn’t the author of the Guardian article black? Why not be proactive and try to be more inclusive up front? Why is that such a terrible thing to say? I mean, maybe I’m a weirdo, but I kind of hate looking around and seeing nothing but white faces in a place, and I’m white. It’s one of the things I love about where I live, it’s diverse and I like that.

Why not? Is there anything that requires a penis for being interested in cars? No, so why not be proactive and show people that you’re interested in sharing the things you love with them…

I don’t feel it’s either/or. We can work on both economic and political issues, as well as cultural.

I think this is a good place to start. No reason not to be proactive to increase attendance for groups who are underrepresented.

Whitesplaining…

Sure. I think it’s trying to figure out if the groups are inherently exclusionary, or accidentally so. I don’t think there is anything wrong with addressing it and trying to be more proactive…

Because not everyone wants to be white?

Quite likely.

No one said anything about quotas, though, except for Harvey.

You get the philosophical points for the day!

7 Likes

4 Likes