Burning Man said to be "wealthy libertarian fantasy world" and cautionary tale

[Read the post]

3 Likes

Did anyone actually thought otherwise?

15 Likes

It heralds their ideal world: one where vague notions of participation
replace real democracy, and the only form of taxation is self-imposed
charity.

Crazy me - I thought people went to it because it was fun.

7 Likes

People have been telling me Burning Man is over now for 16 years. Every f’ing year it is another person says it.

Frankly, I’m getting a bit tired of it.

6 Likes

Just pay some more money and they’ll all go away.

4 Likes

The ticket price of $800 / $390 (low income) should have been a dead giveaway, @beschizza.

14 Likes

The $800 dollar ones are pre-sale. Then the tickets are $390 when the normal sale starts.

1 Like

Still a bit steep, don’t you think?

7 Likes

Yeah but so what? I couldn’t buy the $800 unless I had the money ( even then maybe not).
One would pay 400 for a xbone or ps4 and save up to do it. Same with a ticket.
Although the ticket is far more worth it imo.

1 Like

This article seems to have been written by someone who read a lot of other articles about Burning Man, what it’s supposed to be, and what’s wrong with it, but never actually was there or got involved.

8 Likes

That’s not even the scalped prices.

1 Like

Most hate articles seem to be that way.

3 Likes

Gentification eventually hits every boho neighborhood.

9 Likes

Well, duh! The $400 xbone will be non-functional within 5 days, while your BM ticket will last for years and years! (depending upon BLM agents, bug infestations, VC money, &c.)

What I find amusing is that everyone who thinks that BM is silly is labelled a “hater” or a “Suppressive Person”.

13 Likes

It sucks when something you love changes into something you don’t love. I don’t go to Burning Man, but I can relate to the folks who are losing the festival they love. I can also relate to the people who are doing the changing. Hopefully those two groups will find a way to make it work together, or else part ways.

5 Likes

Burning Galt.

9 Likes

Is the story here that rich people get privilege and access to more “stuff” than your average normal person?

If anything, the story just points out that 1%s can manipulate these type of loose organizations to a greater degree based on their significantly larger resources. Surprise?

1 Like

Suggestion: Price tickets at $5000 apiece but then 9 people get to come (from some sort of application process) for free. So you get 10% rich people subsidizing the 90%.

3 Likes

His short writers bio refers to him as a retired burner. So it can be safely assumed that he’s been once or twice at the very least.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/author/keith-a-spencher/

2 Likes

His other piece for Jacobin, Fear of a Capitalist Planet, about “active” SETI, is a bit strange,

1 Like