Burning Man said to be "wealthy libertarian fantasy world" and cautionary tale

They’re Bohemian Grove bohemians?

3 Likes

Bohemian grove is a good comparison, all considered. A bunch of juvenile, artless drunk bro billionaires that enjoy whipping their dicks out.

Can’t you ask @doctorow since he’s there right now?

1 Like

I had fun the three times I’ve been (2001, 2006, 2008).

4 Likes

Saying “Burning man is over” is so over.

12 Likes

I wonder if social critics come up with stuff like this because they’ve entirely given up on the idea of creativity and fun. Any one who is being creative and having fun that doesn’t involve graffiti or stuff found in dumpsters is obviously working for The Man.

1 Like

Well, to be fair, I don’t think that you could say that the majority (over 50%) of the people going to burning man are being particularly creative. I suppose they might be having fun. It definitely is a much larger and different think than it was even 10 years ago (and more than twice the size, which was already so huge people thought it was the end of the world). It is a long way from its 90s roots, that’s for sure.

3 Likes

If you say “Burning Man is over” three times in a thread, el-wire-covered techno-primitives show up complaining they’re misunderstood.

6 Likes

Thought… can we get electroluminescent powder that we could fashion into our own devices?

…apparently it is possible…

3 Likes

Among the people saying it is over… is it possible -they- have changed? 16 years?

16 years ago I was… shit where was I? Hardly matters because I sure as hell wouldn’t go there now.

4 Likes

I kinda had that same thought at my last Iron Maiden concert. And I dearly love their shit.

2 Likes

Wait… how much does it cost for one Boing Boing Weekend of Wonder?

5 Likes

I first read that as “hobo neighborhood” and had to sit and think about what you meant.

3 Likes

“Suppressive Person” sounds familiar. Is that a term from “the Forum”, formerly known as EST?

My impression has always been that it started out as a spin-off of the rave scene in the 90s, and that most of the people involved were young and rich – also my impression of “The Forum”, the members of which I met were into the rave scene.

On the other hand, I remember running into my best friend from elementary school, who’d just gotten back from Burning Man, where he and some friends had built a trebuchet, so there had to be a good side.

1 Like

That’s a Scientology term.

4 Likes

Suppressive person is from Scientology. Its what they label people they see as enemies and current or former members who criticize or move away from the organisation. Its part of their system for cutting members off from their families and outside support; shunning former members; and justifying the stalking, harassment and physical threats towards critics.

5 Likes

Somehow, the true artists at the helm of the Club made a slip. They accepted all who came, perhaps in the boundless goodness of their jolly souls, perhaps in the typical American desire to make the organization bigger in numbers and better in treasury. Rich men who had nothing to do with the arts were allowed to join, and presently they were bossing the show and the morals of the Bohemians.

Garretts & Pretenders: A History of Bohemianism in America

2 Likes

Did you get your ego fluffed while you were there? Did you learn that you have the power and right to define society and determine how things should be?

When did you stop beating your wife?

5 Likes

We no longer play Settlers of Catan. I now understand that just because you have 15 wood in your hand and I want to trade you two grain for one measly wood so I can build my third settlement in a corner of the board surrounded by a web of your roads and cities, it’s perfectly ok for you to say no and then promptly trade in 4 of your wood cards for one grain and laugh about it. FUCK YOU AND YOUR WOOD!

2 Likes