LA's "credible" terror threats were reportedly anonymous email from cock.li

[Read the post]

2 Likes

My initial thought was pretty disparaging of those that did it (closed the schools): there really is a huge desire for victim hood on the part of the U.S. Which is the aggressor in multiple theatres around the planet. When I was younger bomb threats were regular enough, and sometimes they’d have to send the robot in to blow something up, but more usually nothing would happen. I remember being older and receiving bomb threats but the police would tell you it simply wasn’t credible (kids wanting out of exams).

But then I remembered that there would be code words (kind of like the opposite of safe words…) and these people don’t have that, or any experience at all the with dealing with them.

Let’s hope this is a learning experience.

6 Likes

L.A. is a big city, I wonder if there ends up being a change in the death rate today once all the data comes in. That’s a lot of people who may be driving distracted, panicking, and the like.

4 Likes

A student was run down today in L.A. on the streets.

2 Likes

14 Likes

“no matter” if it’s a hoax, the schools must still be shut down when a threat comes in.

That is just completely bonkers (and so LAUSD). The terrorists have completely won. You are completely terrorized and at their whim.

So now, after they’ve completely overreacted and shut down 1100 schools with 600 thousand students, they’re starting to realize that actually clearing 1100 schools for bombs in the thorough manner they usually do would take weeks, if not months. There just aren’t that many bomb dogs.

9 Likes

“meme sewer”

7 Likes

Yea, that got my attention too. “What choice do we have, but to dance to the tune the terrorists call? Even if those terrorists do not actually exist, we have a moral duty to obey them. Also, to accord the highest credibility to whichever officials are most pants-wettingly afraid.”

@oldtaku remember your syllogism: “Something must be done. I have done something.”

6 Likes

So, any kid with access to a TOR router can close down a school district in California? Huh.

5 Likes

HMMM.

I guess, once you’ve staked your reputation on the existence of this society-shaping threat, and then the “threat” turns out to be a handful of unfuckable losers who, operating at maximum power, have not delivered in a decade the harm that Nazi Germany inflicted every day, then the only option is to just surrender so hard you shit your pants, in the hopes that this will somehow prove the threat was real.

Or, I mean, the other option would be to say “oh wait, I was wrong, terrorism is not a threat and we’d be better off in every single way if we just stopped reacting to it”. But that’d be insane.

4 Likes

"Even if there are no explosives-laden backpacks, no mysterious packages
and no actual plan to harm children, the online threats that led to the
closure Tuesday of every Los Angeles Unified school and preschool
demonstrate for Angelenos what it means to be terrorized.… Yet what
options do we as a society have — especially when the possible victims
are children? None, really. "

–LA Times

“If there’s a 1% chance that Pakistani scientists are helping al-Qaeda
build or develop a nuclear weapon, we have to treat it as a certainty in
terms of our response”

– Richard “Dick” Cheney

So, “better safe than sorry” I guess is the rationale here?

Why doesn’t this logic apply to global warming?

17 Likes

Yeah, except that those people are ignoring that keeping 640,000 kids out of school for the day isn’t safe.

As @LurkingGrue pointed out the confirmed body count for this decision is at least 1 so far.

3 Likes

Way too late for that, America

7 Likes

Well was going to bet that this was just some one’s way of getting out of finals, but now the odds are too low.

1 Like

I agree with the decision to close the schools. The LAUSD officials quickly made the decision they thought was best to protect the children and staff. Please consider that a terrible terrorist massacre took place in the Los Angeles area just weeks ago. People did not see that coming. There is no reason to take any chances with the safety of children placed in the care of LAUSD. There is a good reason to hunt down whoever made the threat and remove them from society for a long time. There is an ongoing pattern of bomb threats that needs to stop.

NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton all-but ridiculed Los Angeles’ “significant overreaction” to an anonymous email. “We cannot allow ourselves to raise levels of fear,” he said.

NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton should know–he and his paramilitary police force of steroid-crazed, trigger-happy racist thugs are experts at raising levels of fear and responding with significant overreaction.

1 Like

If by Los Angeles you mean a city 60 miles away from Los Angeles? That’s about two hours away as the Prius drives.

That implies that there was a chance to take. As has been stated time and time again, any jackhole with TOR can make a point of doing this on a daily basis. What are you going to do? Live in fear? Lazy threats are lazy, and the MO for shootings and terrorist attacks tends not involve any kind of a threat before it happens.

8 Likes

So it was for the L.A. Times’ Directors that -everything- has to be worked up on film, no waiting for the kids to get through acting school before making it All True? Phyllo Nuts.

1 Like

This happened at 7 am, and the kid was on his way to school, as he would have been any other day. His death was not a byproduct of school closures.

1 Like

As others have pointed out, there has been an ongoing pattern of bomb ‘threats’ by school kids averse to exams and/or fond of malicious pranks for as long as there has been schools, bombs and telephones. Reacting like this is causing more damage to the kids than the actual threats.

3 Likes