Last surviving witness of Lincoln assassination on 1956 TV game show

Even down to the hairline!

I’m 128 years old and was present for the San Francisco Earthquake in 1906. How are you going to prove I wasn’t?

It’s this part of her story that I really get a kick out of, and often tell people about:
In 1965, at age 90 and with no heirs, Calment signed a deal to sell her apartment to lawyer André-François Raffray, on a contingency contract. Raffray, then aged 47 years, agreed to pay her a monthly sum of 2,500 francs (€381.12) until she died. Raffray ended up paying Calment the equivalent of more than €140,000 which was more than double the apartment’s value. After Raffray’s death from cancer at the age of 77, in 1995, his family continued the payments until Calment’s death. Calment’s comment on this situation was reported to be, “In life, one sometimes makes bad deals.”[1] During all these years, Calment used to say to them that she “competed with Methuselah”.[10] In 1985, she moved into a nursing home, having lived on her own until age 110.[1]

2 Likes

3 Likes

I was waiting for someone to comment about how prominent the advertising was for cigs in that clip. Wow, in your face!

1 Like

I was in DC last April and saw a play (Ragtime) at Ford’s Theater. I don’t recall a pit, and for that show, the band was kinda part of the show, and up and in a scaffolding like structure. It was a good show. And the balcony of infamy was there with a US flag draped down from it.

1 Like

It’s funny, I’ve seen the print ads plenty of times but never really let it sink in. Somehow seeing it on video made it stick. BTW, 46 and also a smoker, trying to quit.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.