Last surviving witness of Lincoln assassination on 1956 TV game show

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/21/last-surviving-witness-of-linc.html

2 Likes

“But apart from that, how was the play?”

8 Likes

The best part is when they give him Prince Albert in a can as a parting gift because he doesn’t smoke cigarettes!

1 Like

I don’t know how accurate this is, but my aunt on my dad’s side is the family historian, accurately tracing our history back to the Scot-Irishman (my namesake) who came through the port of New Orleans in 1775.
My dad (who tends to embellish, unlike his sister), told me once that one of my ancestors was playing clarinet in the orchestra pit when Lincoln was shot. Whether he got it from her, or if he simply made it up, I don’t know.

Side Note: So when are they going to finally let Prince Albert out of that can?

3 Likes

From the linked article re. the last Civil War widow:

Just up the road lived William Jasper Martin, a widower born in Georgia in 1845 who had a $50-a-month Confederate veteran’s pension. The 81-year-old man struck up a few conversations with the 21-year-old neighbor and a marriage of convenience was born. “I had this little boy and I needed some help to raise him,” Alberta Martin recalled in a 1998 interview. They were married on Dec. 10, 1927, and 10 months later had a son, William.

Yikes.

3 Likes

Necessary: John Tyler’s Grandsons are still alive

2 Likes

Double yikes:

William Jasper Martin died on July 8, 1931. Two months later, Alberta Martin married her late husband’s grandson, Charlie Martin.

Is this an Alabama thing?

2 Likes

Then there was the lady that didn’t like the way Van Gogh smelled.

(by the way, no one before or since has lived 7004447240000000000♠122 years,)

3 Likes

Soon, I hear.

2 Likes

Is that still broken?

2 Likes

From a 19th century presidential assassination to a 20th century game show. How 21st century can you get!

2 Likes

I’d bet that right before the gunshot there was at least one person in that theater thinking “ugh, there’s always someone who has to ruin a perfectly good play by dragging along their little kid.”

5 Likes

Am I the only one who thought Matt Damon was quizzing the gentleman?

6 Likes

“I’ve Got A Secret” is an awesome show. I come away learning something new every tome I see it.

Once they had Neil Armstrong’s parents on the show. He had just been picked to be an astronaut and they had them flown in almost immediately to ne guests. The panelists at that time, of course, had no idea who Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong were. After their secret was announced, Gary Moore conducted a little interview with them. Towards the end he asked them, “wouldn’t it be wonderful if he fulfilled the president’s goal of walking on the Moon?” or something like that.

1 Like

I don’t think Ford’s Theater has a pit. We had field trips there in school. If there’s a pit, it’s small, but then the whole theater is surprisingly small.

1 Like

Well, there you have it. He was in the military band, but it would be like my dad to add a pile of b.s. to it to hype it up.

So her second son was her second husband’s uncle?

1 Like

wow how ridiculous is it looking back the blatant cigarette sponsorship? Go on a game show and the prize is a carton of cigs…how absurd! and to think it used to be that way…now THAT blows my mind!

“Winston tastes good like a cigarette should”
Not sure how old you are, but in my lifetime (I was born when LBJ was prez) I’ve seen it go from smoking everywhere to no where. I remember that you could never go out to dinner with the family without coming home smelling like smoke.
I also smoked for a long time, it’s one fucked up hard m’fing habit to quit.

1 Like

wow how ridiculous is it looking back the blatant cigarette sponsorship? Go on a game show and the prize is a carton of cigs…how absurd! and to think it used to be that way…now THAT blows my mind!

How about now…?

1 Like