Last Week Tonight offers Shaquille O'Neal's impeccable logic on gas pricing

I don’t think he’s using the logic I’m using but he’s not actually wrong and I’m surprised no one has come up with even a theory as to how this would work.

Fuel has weight. Carrying it in your car reduces your fuel efficiency. This is why race cars don’t load up on full tanks.

So technically fuelling smaller amounts more often will save you money. Unless you need to go out of your way to fuel up of course…

1 Like

So, ah… it’s kind of true, yes, but not the way he’s doing it. He’s filling it when it drops to half, so he’s carrying a full load all the time, which is more weight. If he waited until it was near empty and then put $20 in, your point would be correct, although the savings is so small - (3 to 5 cents per gallon per 100 pounds of weight saved; a big SUV might have a 30 to 40 gallon tank, gas is roughly six pounds per gallon, so 120 is about the most weight he’d save at half full) - that it’s not really going to be that big a difference. And he’s driving a giant, gas-guzzling SUV, not a hatchback.

4 Likes

Going to the gas station more often is guaranteed to cost you more in one way- your time. Who wants to spend twice (or maybe four times?) as much time at a gas station? Life is too short.

2 Likes

I have learned that there’s never cheaper gas than Costco gas- usually by close to 50¢ a gallon. There are enough in the area that I haven’t had to buy gas elsewhere in three or four years.

My condolences to those without the option.

1 Like

Or just use a gas-price-tracking app to see which stations are the cheapest (I find that even if prices aren’t always updated accurately you can still get a sense of relative pricing)

My wife’s always had a slight low level crush on Shaq, this seals it. A tank below half makes her super nervous for some reason. A guy that never lets it get below half would be her dream husband.

3 Likes

i kinda like going to the gas station. even better when i fill my truck and my boat in the same trip!
those little tv’s in the pump showing the same five-second clip from last night’s nba game, the windshield wash and squeegee, the petrol fumes! good times, man. good times.
eta: that’s a USD$300 bill right there, between the two. and it does make sense to keep the boat’s tank full of rec90 petrol so it doesn’t allow rubber seals to break down and draw in water from the humid south florida air.
a big YMMV is noted here.

3 Likes

Yes, I’m so old I actually bought gas before Waze had gas prices listed.

2 Likes

Stopping and starting the engine for the fill up would immediately cancel out those weight savings and possibly more.

Not to mention that he somehow thinks, and repeats over and over again, that $20 fills his $80 tank from half full to full. This is only true, as others pointed out above, unless his fuel gauge is really inaccurate.

2 Likes

images (2)

2 Likes

Not the sharpest ball on the court.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.