Tesla driver attempts to fill car with gasoline

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/18/tesla-driver-attempts-to-fill.html

8 Likes

Just you wait. In a few years we’ll see videos of young drivers raised in the era of electric cars trying to figure out how to fill up their parent’s old Hyundais with electricity.

37 Likes

To be fair. She normally has a servant take care of it.

19 Likes

It seems obvious it wasn’t her car. Still not an excuse though. It was kind of awesome watching the guy explain to the woman that the car is electric and you can see her remark “really”. Oh boy.

Also obvious, the guys in the car were probably High AF.

8 Likes

26 Likes

Was it a rental?

Eh - I’ve giggled that much at something funny while sober. Especially when you have someone else to make it contagious.

6 Likes

Muttley was objectively the best character in Wacky Races.

26 Likes

Hm, or kids trying tho put electricity in horses.

4 Likes

Well, to be fair, you can actually do that.

Just ask Thomas Edison.

16 Likes

I was feeling pissed at the guys making the video until the end, where they finally told her it was electric and expressed some sympathy for her. I was afraid she was going to pour gas in her car before that point, potentially disastrously.
Though now I’m wondering how screwed the driver of the car was - I’m guessing she was there because the car was low on power, and she wasn’t in a position to recharge it…

5 Likes

I liked that when she was told that she got the absurdity of her actions and had a good laugh

5 Likes

if I owned a small electric car company I’d hire people to go around to gas stations like this in the hopes of getting free publicity on the news

the downside of course is it means the battery is almost dead and they aren’t going to find a charger in time

sometimes I try to calculate when it will be no longer profitable for gas stations to exist at the frequency that they do, when there are so many electric cars that the small profit they make per gallon of gas won’t justify the expense of the tanks, etc. - if there is a battery breakthrough, that could be as soon as 10 years, maybe 20

1 Like

My favorite fill-up trick was our family’s 1956 Chevy. It was hidden beneath the tail light – a small chrome fin directly below the bullet tail light could be twisted 90 degrees, and that unlatched the whole tail light fixture and allowed it to pivot down and reveal the gas fill cap.

(That’s the model with the backup lights, which had the latch fin above the tail light lens. Our didn’t have backup lights, so the latch was a matching bit of fin below the light.)

Watching someone unfamiliar with the trick try to find the gas cap could be fun. (-:

22 Likes

Or operate dial phones.

6 Likes

Or why there are so many broken iPads in old people’s houses and in waiting rooms.

8 Likes

Presumably petrol stations can also sell electricity in small volumes. Possibly enough to get the car moving.

1 Like

Most petrol stations in the UK act as small convenience stores, often with a coffee shop and hot snacks, because the profit on petrol alone isn’t worth it.

1 Like

how clever; directly behind an electric circuit :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

My money’s on staged. Also, what’s that corporate logo in the corner?

3 Likes

Ms. Pitstop? Penelope? Is that you?

1 Like