Two carjackers force a driver out of the car, then realize they can't drive a stick shift (video)

Originally published at: Two carjackers force a driver out of the car, then realize they can't drive a stick shift (video) | Boing Boing

10 Likes

hah! Took my twenty year old car in for an oil change at one of those in/out places recently. Lots of younger helpful folks usher me into a queue, ask for the keys, tell me to go to the waiting room. Ten minutes later comes the young fellar literally hat in hand: “Uhm none of us know how to drive stick. Could you pull it in over the pit?”

if i live just a bit longer this too shall pass as electric cars don’t need no st’eeek’n transmission [faraway look of Remembrances of Things Past]

28 Likes

Life imitates art: Car Heist - SNL - YouTube

16 Likes

Every car I’ve had over 30 years has been manual. I consider it a theft deterrent these days. This story confirms it.

27 Likes

Over-50’s everywhere: :rofl:

19 Likes

Yes, but can you ride a horse well enough to shoot an arrow backward from it?

22 Likes

Most people use a bow

27 Likes

Not even a lurch as they tried to get it in gear? Wusses!

19 Likes

Don’t go back to Rockville/and waste another year.

5 Likes

Right, I now have the perfect new business for creating highly effective security measures to stop young criminals: in order to access the thing, you need to know how to use stick shifts, rotary phones, cassette tapes…

7 Likes

20 Likes

They’re hard to find. When I got my Honda Civic in 2018 they had to bring it in from 400 miles away.

Jalopnik says:

The data shows that so far in 2023, 1.7 percent of all new-car purchases have been vehicles with manual transmissions.

But, good news:

Go back just one year to 2022, and the manual take-rate was just 1.2 percent. That’s a 41.7-percent increase in just one year. Sure, they’re small numbers, but that is a trend in the right direction, my friends.

My youngest wants a manual transmission when he gets a car. I suggested a Ghia. He wants a Porsche. Compromise and get a 914!

5 Likes

Perhaps the couldn’t get the f*cking Eagles off the infotainment system?

12 Likes

apparently there is a market for manual EVs and one day you might be able to drive one. personally i don’t know why someone would actually buy one but if that is what it takes to get folks to switch to EV….

7 Likes

People make fun of millennials, but I am GenX and don’t know how to drive a stick. I also don’t know how to crank start a Model T. Sure sure, if you like a stick, have fun with it, but let’s not pretend having a modern convenience somehow makes someone less than. :wink:

15 Likes

I’m 54 and can’t drive a stick. In my defense, I have an abnormally weak left leg due to a disability, so it was just never really something I could do.

8 Likes

I have several friends in their 30s that can’t drive at all. They never had to learn.
If you live in an area with decent or even half-decent public transit and walking neighborhoods, cars aren’t a necessity. In places like Vancouver BC it’s too expensive to own a car, pay for insurance and upkeep plus find an apartment to rent that has parking included.

12 Likes

9 Likes

Real phones use rotary dials
Real calculators have beads
Rl wrtng dsn’t hv vwls

23 Likes

Real writing has cursive. (not quite /s)

6 Likes