Leah Moore, Alan Moore's daughter, offers a compassionate defense of her father's infamous crankiness

Yes, it’s tragic that he got fucked over. It’s just a shame, and sad indeed, that he didnt’ find a way to still create what he loved rather than let it consume him.

Alan Moore didn’t stop making comics; in the 30 years since Watchmen he’s produced award-winning and classic work both in the indy and mainstream scenes. He just stopped fucking with superheroes and “The Big Two”, for the most part (and especially during the 90s, can you blame him?).

This defense is offered because Moore has come under fire for his (IMO, accurate) critique of the phenomenon of the Marvel films. But IMO, anyone who loves superheroes and what they stood for should be angry with those films.

Very true! And I’ve got a bunch of it. My comment was more pointed at his daughter’s implication that he could have been massively more productive but couldn’t bring himself to work in the genre the way he wanted to.

Popular entertainment that tells allegorical stories through heroic characters?

5 Likes

I mean how do you even pronounce PWEI

Ah, that’s Welsh for you :wink:

1 Like

Agreed - I was being over-simplistic. :wink:

Still not voting for a Corbyn-‘led’ party, though.

There’s really quite a lot of Alan Moore’s stuff I can’t stand. Watchmen isn’t that great, V for Vendetta is overwritten with too many characters, Neonomicon is hot garbage – but still he’s one of the greatest comics writers in history, and his work – even the stuff that irritates the tar out of me – is still worth reading and re-reading. And for all his genius and all the benefit he’s brought to comics, the industry still insists on fucking him over as often as they can.

If y’all ever elect me president of DC Comics, my first act of business is going to be giving Alan back the full rights to Watchmen, V, From Hell, and the ABC books.

2 Likes

Halo Jones does not get the credit it deserves, it’s truly one of the best from 2000ad’s 80s heyday.

9 Likes

Oh yeah - I’m well aware of Alan Moore but didn’t think I’d read anything but Watchmen, which I wasn’t hugely thrilled by - but Halo Jones was brilliant.

3 Likes

Agreed.

“Don’t let the sun set on you here, Hooper.”

5 Likes

“I’ll take, “Everything that has, can, or ever will exist”, for $200, Alex.”

question

9 Likes

Alan Moore was part of the indy comics scene and was a huge part of America’s Best Comics which had its own shared universe. Unfortunately, the comicbook company was sold to DC without his knowledge. So, I can see the anger.

4 Likes

As far as I’m concerned, America’s Best was the best. Everything in their line was fantastic, though “Top 10” was my favourite; especially the, “Who killed Baldr?” story.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I think that someone somewhere in their script-writing department doesn’t understand anarchism. Here’s an anarchist group, one of the most significant ones in history too.

Edit: I realised I might be missing context from before the clip started.

2 Likes

Well the character is not actually an anarchist, she’s being a smartass and giving the main character a hard time :slight_smile:

2 Likes
2 Likes

The release of this single was what turned me on to Alan Moore. His name being mentioned in the lyrics led me to find out about him and his work. I also found out he lived up the road from my parents in Northampton too. Which is of course irrelevant. But I was just a kid at the time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.