Check out this Alan Moore interview from the 80s

Originally published at: Check out this Alan Moore interview from the 80s | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Alan Moore with a sense of humor!

4 Likes

Obligatory…

3 Likes

4 Likes

Despite my love for Alan Moore, his currently bitter disposition towards the comic industry can be a bit offputting

I mean… the industry has done him dirty several times, so his bitterness is understandable.

8 Likes

I’ll always LOVE Alan Moore. He raises great points about the industry and unionization, but he bums me out with just how bitter he is.

Which isn’t to say his view isn’t justified.

3 Likes

Kristen Wiig Yep GIF by Where’d You Go Bernadette

Moore, I think, is at his heart an idealist, especially about art and the power it has to tell truth to power. It’s clear he believes in that, given works like V and Watchmen. And the way he got screwed over and how other artists have gotten screwed over by the industry certainly drove his anger which has certainly become a kind of bitterness.

But maybe it’s less bitterness and more anger. In the 80s, he was certainly considered one of the best storytellers in the medium, and I’m guessing that his inability to change the industry, despite all the accolades he received about being a groundbreaker, the industry proved unmoving in its corruption. He’s not the first artist to bang his head against the capitalist logic found in creative industries and I doubt he’ll be the last.

8 Likes

I don’t find his bitterness towards the comic book industry offputting at all. It’s refreshing, if anything.

4 Likes

There is lots to be bitter about, in fact, with regards to the comic industry, same as with any cultural industries. Since we (as a culture) have a very… I’m gonna say, rose-colored view of the culture industries, it’s good to have people that are widely respected for their cultural contributions speak the truth about these industries.

5 Likes

It too am very fond of the Wizard of Northampton and his bitterness is justified when someone of his stature in comics can still be screwed over so god help the less established writers and artists. Not to mention his bitterness toward the film industry that consistently butchered his work, no wonder he divorced himself of it all after the wreck that was The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. My fondness only extends to the point where i find out he is a fan-boy of authoritarianism like some other comics creators we best not give oxygen to, which i don’t think has happened. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

30 years between the interviews and Alan still speaks truth. Though a so-called lover of Alan finds this off putting. He is bang on correct describing the recent decades of ‘super-hero’ pap. Great if you like to be spoon fed.

1 Like

My understanding is that as far as most of the movies are concerned he is not bitter, he just doesn’t care about them. League and From Hell are creator owned, so he got paid and as he likes to say “My books are still right there, on the shelf”

1 Like

I guess, but i certainly remember his utter distaste with how they mangled that particular (excellent) work. So yeah, maybe not a bitterness post that episode but an indifference to the inevitability of them ruining it, though maybe that started with V - which i personally quite like as a film but don’t tell 'im!

1 Like

Oh yeah, he doesn’t like any of them, but I don’t think he cares about them. He is too busy doing Snake Magick and secretly writing more Top 10 issues that will all suddenly be released of out the blue all at once.*

• Doctor’s Note: Please do not counter or engage with the patient regarding his insistance that additional issues of Top 10 are coming. He has shown a tendency to become alternately violent or catatonically withdrawn when confronted regarding this and we already have enough trouble getting orderlies to enter his room.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.