Leaked confidential memo reveals Facebook program to identify and target "insecure" kids

Oh I don’t think that it’s naïve to imagine it. Something something picture the world that you want. But I sure wouldn’t bet on it. Corporations are soul-less and amoral, but they are made up of people and SOME of them haven’t been converted to the church of the almighty shareholder value.

1 Like

I know someone who really dug them Charles Atlas ads…

6 Likes

This I cannot stand for. When I eat products made of people, I want to know they were secure people.

3 Likes

That was entirely different… the Charles Atlas ads addressed a genuine need. The best part was when the formerly skinny guy hit that other guy in the face.

1 Like

He was more of a Steve Reeves fan.

5 Likes

5 Likes

Well, that clarifies things. I couldn’t possibly comment, since I’m a Facebook employee, but thank you for the information.

7 Likes

Ahahaha good one.

1 Like

I think of most people – not just teens – who use Facebook as insecure, with heavier use correlating to greater insecurity. All Facebook’s algorithm has to do is measure hours used per day… bam.

hey Zuck! It’s me, one of the Winklevoss twins! I’m still steamed about how the movie made it look like you were a better rower than us. (I assume that’s what the movie said, I only saw the trailer.) (and I only skimmed the trailer.)

1 Like

call me negative and jaded here but considering Facebook’s past, I’m going to go with " targeting people for makeup and weight loss ads…"

1 Like

We need an algorithm that detects insecurity and stupidity in older folks and convince them not to reelect Trump

2 Likes

OMG, No.No.No. (extra No’s to meet min character limit).

1 Like

No doubt that’s where the smart money is betting. After all the first step of much advertising is to make people insecure. Create a need and then sell the solution. Because happy contented people make for bad customers.

The idea of a huge corporation working in concert with law enforcement to identify and target citizens for increased surveillance or intervention sends a chill up my spine.

4 Likes

You know the two pillars of advertising? Fear and hope. The fear that something is true ( unsexy, fat, unattractive to the opposite sex ) and the hope that Product XYZ will fix it.

2 Likes

Why do you say that you miss the days of Eliza?

6 Likes

It sounds like you miss the days of Eliza.

5 Likes

I vote No.

1 Like