Leaked Facebook memo reveals "psychological trick" developed to entice high-school students to sign on

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/08/manipulating-children.html

2 Likes

I give full credit to FB for not succumbing to “not invented here” syndrome when it comes to sleazy and exploitative dark-pattern tricks.

4 Likes

This doesn’t surprise me in the least, TBH.

5 Likes

Sounds more like just another desperate attempt to find something, anything to make up all the ground they lost by making FB such a shitty, toxic platform.

FB has made a ton of bad decisions, and squandered the hell out of its initial, incredible lead. There’s mounting evidence that they’re intentionally faking user numbers to scam advertisers, as well as just hide the fact that they’re not nearly as valuable of an advertising platform as they pretend to be.

That’s why institutional investors are unloading FB stock; their stated numbers are so crazy (e.g. claiming they have more millennial users than actually exist) that nobody can ignore that there’s no match at all with reality, and everyone has just been waiting for the right time to dump their stock and run like hell.

5 Likes

Why is “growth” the only metric that’s important?

11 Likes

Facebook is just a single sign on service for a good portion of its users these days. Other than that just some 50-85 year olds arguing about politics.

5 Likes

I will be so well and truly happy when Facebook’s corpse is found floating bloated under a dock, and all its employees find a new line of work.

4 Likes

Presumably because of an impoverishment of the social imagination.

5 Likes

Because Wall Street, that’s why. We gotta keep funding the endless party. I wish it were more complicated than that, but it’s not.

4 Likes

Short answer? It’s the easiest metric to fake, if you want to keep propping your stock price up until you can unload as much stock as possible (Zucky has been selling off stock like it’s going out of style, BTW).

5 Likes

“It’s not the size; it’s how you use it that matters.”

also…

“Think of the children! They are an untapped source of income!”

Also, they never did go in for that “don’t be evil” bullshit.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.