Facebook stock plunges after missing growth and revenue goals

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/25/facebook-stock-plunges-after-m.html

5 Likes

Seems a bit overblown. Their stock was up 1.3% by the end of the day.

Their stock was up 1.3% at close and fell 20% after close

4 Likes
4 Likes

It couldn’t happen to a nicer company.

Grumpy_cat_%2527good%2527

3 Likes

“Facebook’s newly announced policy to embrace Holocaust deniers”

Insert that well known quote from Princess Bride here. You know the one.

1 Like

This plunge takes facebook back to their value on May 1, 2018. They’ve been rolling ahead through all the scandals thus far, so giving 20% back now is a fairly small piece of the pie. I think Mark will be OK.

(Not saying he should be, just saying this may not be indicative of the death kneel some are waiting for.)

2 Likes

“People in masks cannot be trusted”?

6 Likes

pesky facts always getting in the way of the ‘popular narrative’

1 Like

Anecdotally, the active FB users I know have each taken it off their phones.

1 Like

Ning is on its way back…I can feel it…

Anecdotal but I deleted my own account two days ago after having been a member since 2008. Downloaded all of my posts and other data first.

3 Likes

Doesn’t that involve hitting them on the back of the head with a shovel, sucking out their blood and feeding them some of your own?

1 Like

I remember an incident from my youth as a Little Devil™ in the 60’s. A toy company was forced to discontinue a product because its design was intrinsically dangerous and inappropriate for its intended use. I’d argue that Facebook as a company should face the same fate. It is also intrinsically dangerous and inappropriate for its intended use.

Damn, people have died because Facebook chose to ingratiate themselves with authoritarian governments by informing on dissenting citizens who use the service. This is NOT acceptable.

3 Likes

It might, except they already reached market saturation with that demo

No, you fool, it is, “Never get involved in a land war in Asia!”

1 Like

And there was me assuming it was “many a mickle makes a muckle” (which is FB’s modus operandi, after all.)

1 Like

The chart at the top is another fine example of changing the baseline to make changes look bigger than they really are. For some reason, stockmarket sites really like mucking around with the Y-axis - can’t think why /s.

As always, XKCD is ahead of the game:

#deletefacefuckingbook

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.