Leaked document reveals that Sidewalk Labs' Toronto plans for private taxation, private roads, charter schools, corporate cops and judges, and punishment for people who choose privacy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/30/citizen-scores-eh.html

4 Likes

“please vacate the area, Amazon Prime citizen. Return to your prime house and watch some prime TV. Spend a few prime points on a new Ring biometric rewards monitor ring.”

25 Likes

whatisthis

24 Likes

36 Likes

There seem to be entirely too many people who think Snowcrash was a utopian tale.

36 Likes

This is so inaccurate. They will be Google citizens.

11 Likes

The weird thing is that it seems like Google wants to completely cocoon humans in pursuit of their sweet, sweet data. When you have assimilated that human entirely into an ecosystem of your creation, their data is no longer relevant.

15 Likes

There are remedies…I would hope

24 Likes

At this point they can only claim that this doc is some distopian sci-fi fan fic a team member wrote.
Kill sidewalk labs with fire before it goes full Chinese social score system.

17 Likes

I really wonder who leaked this. Could it be that some of the people working on the project are themselves worried about it?

22 Likes
9 Likes

20 Likes

Eventually ruled by an Iain Banks style AI? Pass me my Kong Bucks.

4 Likes

This is the future, folks. Did anyone really think the “social credit” system would limit itself to China? The only difference is that there it’s the government running the system, here it’s the “free market.” It won’t be long before some small country, destroyed by IMF debt, goes broke and is bought up by Google. There they can really set things right. Don’t worry–it’s all about expanding choice, increasing convenience, guaranteeing your security, and above all protecting your Freedom!!

12 Likes

This is how they’re planning on weathering the civil upheaval and global warming chaos. It won’t work.

7 Likes

Gated communities burn down when you trebuchet burning pitch onto the buildings just like anywhere else.

27 Likes

It wouldn’t be the first time.

5 Likes

Especially since water levels will rise at the Toronto waterfront as well. The St. Lawrence River won’t drain into the ocean as quickly as the ocean waters rise.

4 Likes

Seriously, this is a libertarian’s wet dream, right? Private, corporate control of everything, no government. This is not going to end well. Handing off your civil liberties to corporate NDA’s isn’t the solution to a better world.

15 Likes

Why spend the money (and effort) on some dysfunctional 3rd world country when they can do what they want in Canada and the US at no expense beyond the program itself, though? (And maybe even less, as they might get some subsidies.)

9 Likes