Your new social credit score

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/13/your-new-social-credit-score.html

5 Likes

That was perfect (in a very disturbing way)

That is exactly how our Tories would spin this to the public. And i have zero doubts at all they will do this in time if unchallenged…

Rapid low score for me :frowning:

Edit: I’m a member of the green party for a start, that already marks me as 'potential terrorist’™ to the loons of our government :confused:

11 Likes

14 Likes

Well, that’s me fucked.

13 Likes

That’s everyone who isn’t rich or powerful enough to game the system; proper fucked.

15 Likes

Crap. I’m going into negative numbers.

10 Likes
15 Likes

Absolutely the wrong solution. I’m an introvert, suffering from lifelong depression and already barely keeping ahead of my credit card debts, so this system would leave me broke and in jail or dead in fairly short order

14 Likes

The really scary thing is, once below a certain score it actively encourages friends/family to eject you, compounding the damage and actively preventing any sort of reversal even if you wanted it.

If you wished to devise a system to divide a population into “us and them” it’s hard to imagine something more effective…

15 Likes

I’m only doing it if we can have trading cards of each other with our statistics from that year printed on the back.

8 Likes

“We are the architects of our own demise.”

~The Animatrix

13 Likes

That’s exactly how it will be marketed to Westerners who aren’t as accustomed to the level of heavy-handed intrusiveness by the state and its business cronies that exists in China. Facebook and Twitter have demonstrated that millions of freedom-lovin’ Amercians will blithely toss away their privacy when presented with this kind of system.

Our bugs are their features.

15 Likes

The way the UK is going, in jail may be preferable to being broke, the former at least won’t let you starve to death

3 Likes

I’m sure the system will be fair to minorities as well.

11 Likes

This was the exact plot of a Black Mirror episode.

Edit: I see @joed beat me to it above.

8 Likes

I see they addressed the issue of “if you’re a citizen of Google, Facebook, or any other corporation,” but what about the effect of you being a politician, public (safety) employee, or … well, I guess they can’t mention the intelligence services.

2 Likes

I bet the whole thing would be coded so badly that if your score goes low enough it would crap itself and cycle you to the top possible score.

5 Likes

But I don’t want to live in an episode of BM!

It never ends well…

8 Likes

And then, like Nuclear Ghandi in Civ, they’d retcon the bug into the narrative.

Except for San Junipero.

10 Likes

Didn’t see that one; I have to take BM in small, infrequent doses, lest I bum myself out.

7 Likes