Learn how to eat a lobster and answers to other etiquette questions with this beautifully illustrated guide

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/11/learn-how-to-eat-a-lobster-and.html

1 Like

I’m eating a lobster right now.

6 Likes

25 Likes

Mmm. Cockroach of the sea.

5 Likes

How to eat lobster:

Don’t.

7 Likes

Former mob wiseguy Nicholas Pileggi, in his cookbook, wrote that his gangster buddies loved lobsters and (paraphrasing here) “couldn’t get enough of those bugs”.

3 Likes

Caught female lobsters are supposed to be thrown back into the sea, but we found one in our store-bought batch of four some years back. I made an incredible sauce from the roe.

6 Likes

So that’s how you roe…

4 Likes

Where’s the ketchup?

9 Likes

One eats a lobster with one’s mouth.

3 Likes

A shorter guide to eating lobster:

1. Put on your rain slicker. You’re going to need protection.
  2. Grasp the beast in both hands. Twist and tear to separate.
  3. Eat any and all inners, using fingers to remove morsels.

fin.

1 Like

9 Likes

More like telson and uropods.

3 Likes

I refute the idea that lobsters are edible.

1 Like

8 Likes

It depends on the fishery. Maine and most of Canada they are supposed to be thrown back. Much of the US fishery isn’t as strict. Probably part of the reason why most fisheries south of Maine are failing (climate change and disease/water quality being the big ones).

That said they do slip through, your talking about a bunch of humans hand sorting a species where gender can be hard to recognize. [quote=“nothingfuture, post:11, topic:98747, full:true”]
A shorter guide to eating lobster:

1. Put on your rain slicker. You’re going to need protection.
  2. Grasp the beast in both hands. Twist and tear to separate.
  3. Eat any and all inners, using fingers to remove morsels.
  4. Make nom nom noises as loud as possible while spraying juices around the general area.

fin.
[/quote]

Fixed that for you. It tastes better when you’re loud and messy.

Yeah as some one raised in a very rural place, but who’s lived in multiple major cities. It aint the city folk who need training. The average resident of my home town looks at a Chinese dumpling and says “what the fuck is this? how do I eat this?”. Looks at a taco and says “what the fuck is this? how do I eat this?” And so forth. Any whiff of something slightly different then they’re used to and they completely collapse. Seemingly unable to handle a fork.

The land locked or new to seafood might need some instruction on dismantling whole animals they’re unfamiliar with regardless of where they are from. But I’ve seen 3 year olds from Brooklyn dismantle whole fish in Chinese restaurants.

4 Likes

… hence my total and profound lack of guilt as I gently sautéed the roe in a heavy cream and white wine reduction with some capers.

3 Likes

I would be more interested in learning why on Earth anyone would want to eat a lobster. :thinking:

3 Likes

9 Likes