Learning an entire life story just to get a simple waffle recipe

I learned to cook Latin American food from Latinx people, so I default to that spelling.

Edited for precision.

3 Likes

Per my rant up top, she also is great because she’s cooking in a real home kitchen, not a commercial kitchen or Williams Sonoma photo shoot.

2 Likes

If there isn’t a skip button, I skip the recipe.

You could have just posted the bottom part with the recipe and not do the top rant.

1 Like

Recipe? I tried to tell my mom how to make vinaigrette and it was all “some vinegar” and “more oil than vinegar” and “you have to use mustard because it has lecithin”. I think it would have to be a video and who needs more of those?

Also:

(Uh oh, am I going to get in trouble for trying to out-pedant the pedant? Sorry, @ anothernewbbaccount ! :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

When I see “chili” I think of the stew.

1 Like

Another pet peeve of mine is that people can’t seem to resist the temptation to use hyperbole when naming a recipe. It is so annoying to have to read “the best ever ______”, or “orgasmic ______”, or “marry me _______” every time I search for one. See also: obviously fabricated backstories for said recipes.

ETA: managed to end all three sentences with “recipe”

1 Like

Some channels, I’ll allow that.

1 Like

Those look really good. Of the three listed, “the best” irks me the least. It just seems like it loses impact when it is so readily applied. It makes me wonder when I see that all of someone’s recipes begin with “the best”…

2 Likes

Recipes can’t be copyrighted. Any website that published recipes only, could be cloned legally by anyone. The copy preceding the recipe about the difficult but fabulous time the author had cooking for three kids in Greece is copyrightable.

5 Likes

I imagine food is a very personal topic and we tend to associate mealtimes with place and time and family – basically nostalgia.

But please put your “BEST EVER” family recipe (most likely Betty Crocker circa '53) at the top of the page, and I SWEAR if I like the recipe, I will come back and read about when you went apple picking every Fall with your grandma, and you now take your own children apple picking to pass down this enchanting experience to the next generation, and about how the waning autumn sun makes dappled patterns on the fallen leaves, the crispness in the air redolent of woodsmoke, and how a hot cup of mulled cider, cinnammon-ey, makes you feel all warm inside, and yes the InstantPot recipe for pearled barley is “1:2 barley and water, 20 minutes.”

2 Likes

I am a British pedant.
(And it was too good a chance to riff on chile as child.)

2 Likes

I know :slight_smile:

a website that i hate-read (full confession) will post at least once a week something with the formula: “We Tried The _______ Recipe That [Twitter/Reddit/The Internet] Is Obsessed With” and it drives me INSANE.

3 Likes

My wife’s recipe box contains decades of “Denise’s Home Ec Beef Stew”, “Judy’s White Chicken Chili”, “Church Fair Stand Sloppy Joes” and “Joannie’s Chocolate Cake”. And she’s not alone - almost every recipe book and box I’ve seen seems to follow this pattern.

Part of the reason people name them like this is so that they can differentiate the recipe for the outstanding chocolate cake they love from the one they merely liked. But when you do that, every name carries with it a tiny bit of history, which is why people reminisce when they describe them.

As for me, I’ll port them into a recipe app and keep the name, so I have a copy of “Joannie’s Chocolate Cake” in my phone, even though I never met Joannie, I don’t know who she is, or even if she’s still alive. So if someone asks me for the recipe, I’ll simply email them a copy, drama free. They can then tell the story of the time I emailed them a recipe for cake.

2 Likes

2 Likes

How many steps did you have to fill in yourself?

Cook’s Illustrated is useful but paywalled. Technically precise. May lack a wee bit of soul. They are thorough and their techniques are worth learning because those are portable.

They have a magazine if it turns out videos aren’t something you love.

Mark Bittman has had some good videos, I have to admit, and I usually don’t go for videos.

I spent a lot of time cooking in restaurants.

The whole “online recipe + food blog + crazy one trick [with food]” thing’s gotten out of hand, IMO. Watching Chris Fox (BBC) take it down was so satisfying. Ann Reardon (a food scientist) also does a good job of lacerating all the glib simple bogus posts on cooking / baking.

3 Likes

Recipes, literally, are “get these things”. They do NOT tell you how to make ‘these things’ come alive. That’s where stories come in.