Legendary singer-songwriter Kris Kristofferson dead at 88

Originally published at: Legendary singer-songwriter Kris Kristofferson dead at 88 - Boing Boing

12 Likes

One of the best songs from my favored, grim musical subgenre of “legends contemplating their own mortality.”

12 Likes

He genuinely supportive and generous to his fellow artists, writing classic songs for others and participating in groups without hogging the spotlight. Of particular note in this regard:

19 Likes

I always thought the most notable part of his career was co-starring in Albert Pyun’s Knights in 1993:

6 Likes

“I ain’t sayin’ I beat the devil,
but I drank his beer for nothing.
Then I stole his song.”

Kris Kristofferson, To Beat The Devil, 1969.

17 Likes

From what I read, he was a real one.

And he hated vampires!

7 Likes
8 Likes

This looks like it should be a scene from “Monty Python’s the Meaning of Knife”. :smile::smile::smile::+1:

Chris Kristofferson was the triple threat; he could sing, he could act, he could kill vampires. He also had one of those faces that just kept on getting better the longer he inhabited.

ODI1ZTU5YCUoUyxnek5tMGsLeD08F2NmPBNgdnoEfXx5SXUyPFkqNixBNXoyRzo0KEYqeiVZYCU5WHUiZBorLTpBNjUsGiopK1Q-e2IMLnx7UGwxeAV3cSscbmNsV2J9elNoeWZXeHx7BD9hbFB2cmtM

4 Likes

Did he colab with Taylor, or just in a photo together?

1 Like

I’m not a photo expert, but it looks plausible.

1 Like

Lukas Nelson and Kris Kristofferson have had a relationship since Lukas was born.

This article talks about it and shared a cover Lukas did a few years ago.

lukasnelsonofficial This is me and @kristofferson when we first met. Kris helped me to believe in myself as a songwriter when I was a boy. Other than my father, he was my greatest inspiration. He embodied humility and kindness, and carried his grace into his words and music with unique eloquence. He was a great among greats. One of the coolest men in music. Strong and fierce, with a gentleman’s soul. A Rhodes scholar who left the Oxford life to be a seeker… was an aviator, and an inventor of phrases. Kris could land anywhere, and did. I grew up with him and his family. I love them, I love him, and I always will

6 Likes

4 Likes

not many celebrity deaths resonate in me the way this one has.
allow me a moment:
my father is a musician with some country music bona fides (opening for the likes of Charlie Pride, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard and Waylon Jennings).
my father played banjo and guitar in some nasty Trinity River Bottom dance halls and to this day, plays in beerhalls and “oldfolks homes” when he is stateside, in Texas.
my father knew every Kris Kristoferson song and played them often in his sets, or just in his doodling around on his instuments.
i cannot listen to a Kris Kristoferson song without hearing my father’s voice.
papi is nearly the same age…

i can always here mi papi, then, when i hear:
:notes: He’s a poet…
He’s a picker…
He’s a prophet…
He’s a pusher…
he’s a pilgrim and a preacher and a problem
when he’s stoned.
He’s a walking contradiction…
party truth and
partly fiction…
Taking every wrong direction on his lonely way back home.
:notes:

and there’s a lot of wrong directions on the lonely way back home.

11 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.