Originally published at: Iconic musician David Crosby, RIP | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Great version of my favorite CSNY song -

16 Likes
15 Likes

Cliched, but it was one of the few folk songs I liked as a kid:

RIP

26 Likes

Something about this one always makes me close my eyes and just float away when I listen to it.

15 Likes

And still performing until pretty recently.

12 Likes

Oh this is so frikkin’ creepy: I just got through giving a guitar lesson where the guy asked me about “Our House”: Can you play it on guitar? I showed him how, then we talked about Crosby, how, like Keith Richards, it’s amazing he’s still alive. There’s a documentary about him that’s painful to watch because he alienated so many of his friends with his behavior (mostly due to drugs). And he says throughout, “I’m sorry,” and you wonder if his friends can forgive him.

My gawd: my hippie mom had Deja Vu and the CSN record playing all the time when I was a child, and I inherited those records, and I love David Crosby. I’m crying now as I type this.

25 Likes

An interesting RS interview with Crosby from 1970:

https://archive.ph/7UhKi

7 Likes

A song about survival in a nuclear holocaust is as relevant today as it was in 1969.

12 Likes

I know it’s from a more commercialized period for them, but it’s one of those great earwormy tunes. I can’t get on a boat without that song creeping in my head.

16 Likes
8 Likes

Great stories…

8 Likes
8 Likes

I hear Cole Porter in there. Nice. Or is it Chet Baker?

3 Likes

Actor! He set the scene for Backdraft.

Also was in Thunderheart and Hook.

4 Likes

Yep. This one. “You’ve got to speak out! Speak out against the madness.”

7 Likes

12 Likes

I’ve seen other videos of him telling that story of their first harmony, and it’s just amazing.

8 Likes

I saw Crosby talking about it as well, saying he and Stills looked at each other like whoa. As Nash says, their harmonies are arresting.

10 Likes

Good memories from everyone, thanks for that. It seems the real sadness about aging is not the indignities being thrust upon me as my body begins its inevitable declines, it’s the accelerating pace at which those we admire, who inspired, who formed part of the sound track of our youth are leaving us. Seems we’ve lost quite a few recently.

Thanks for all the music, David. Whatever else folks will say about you, the music will go on.

13 Likes