Lego brutalism

Originally published at: Lego brutalism | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Moshe Safdie did it first. People are still living in it.

14 Likes

That’s always been one of the few Brutalist complexes I actually liked. Safdie wasn’t just going for quick and cheap, and unlike other Brutalist architects he obviously spared some thought for the people who’d be … errr … inhabiting the place.

Perhaps my dim view of Brutalism in general would have been different if the material used had been happy interlocking plastic blocks…

8 Likes

Needs to be at least three times bigger.

7 Likes

Lego-brut?

1 Like

Lovely, wonderful Lego creations.

And fuck Instagram for making me sign up (I won’t) just to look at all the thumbnails (I couldn’t)

5 Likes

Brutalism is a fine tradition for exploring shapes, making huge sculptures,inventing new ideas for pre-fabbed structures. But its not very successful at making environments that real human beings want to spend much time inside.

Minifigs are the perfect target audience for this art form.

4 Likes

Some of those are just modern, not especially brutalistic. But all really cool. Arckit kits let you also build awesome modern forms for funzies; I fell into them in the early days of shutdown and gathered up several kits on eBay and Mercari for pretty cheap. Always want MOAR, though - the goal is to build Fallingwater one day.

5 Likes

Yeah, I just stopped following any links that direct me to Instagram. Sorry, but no.

6 Likes

Legos are even more brutal on the bottom of a bare foot.

4 Likes

My sister got the Lego Fallingwater set as a gift a few years back. She was delighted.

2 Likes

Well crap; I missed that one! $600 now for a new set, and $250 for a used one. For either of those costs I could pad out the rest of my Arckit set and build it bigger.

2 Likes

Hopefully with better structural integrity than the original! :grin:

1 Like

I had never heard of it. That looks fun! Looks like they’re selling individual components on their website pretty cheaply, so maybe you can buy just the components you need?

1 Like

Yep, but that’s not a cheap route. It’s easier to just scoop up lots of used sets online and have a monster selection. :grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.