LEGO's massive 4163 piece "Big Ben" is currently $50 off

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/25/legos-massive-4163-piece-b.html

3 Likes

Black powder demolition kit sold separately.

18 Likes

20 Likes

It’s the Westminster Clock Tower!!

7 Likes

“Big Ben” is the (nick)name of the big bell that hangs in the Elisabeth Tower; formerly the clock tower, renamed in September 2012 as a tribute to Brenda’s Diamond Jubilee.

4 Likes

Elisabeth Tower

If the only point of your post going to attempt a juvenile, pedantic, and unfunny gotcha, it probably behoves you to proofread it first.

Also …

Big Ben is the nickname for the Great Bell of the clock at the north end of the Palace of Westminster in London and is usually extended to refer to both the clock and the clock tower.

No reason for this, other than a pretty image.

19 Likes

Right.

6 Likes

LEGO is a danger to my shelf space and pocketbook.

5 Likes

wrong palace of westminster. The current building dates from the 1840s. The Gunpowder Plot was in 1605.

5 Likes

True and correct facts, one presumes, from the parliament.uk website:

The name Big Ben is often used to describe the tower, the clock and the bell but the name was first given to the Great Bell.

The Elizabeth Tower, which stands at the north end of the Houses of Parliament, was completed in 1859 and the Great Clock started on 31 May, with the Great Bell’s strikes heard for the first time on 11 July and the quarter bells first chimed on 7 September.

Q. Is it called St Stephen’s Tower, the Clock Tower or the Elizabeth Tower?

A. The name of the tower is no longer the Clock Tower and is now the Elizabeth Tower. It was called St Stephen’s Tower by Victorian journalists. They referred to anything to do with the House of Commons as news from ‘St Stephens’, as originally MPs used to sit in St Stephen’s Hall.

Q. Why is the Elizabeth Tower’s bell called Big Ben?

A. The most likely explanation is it was named after Sir Benjamin Hall, First Commissioner for Works, whose name is inscribed on the bell. Another theory is it was named after Ben Caunt, a champion heavyweight boxer.

2 Likes

on my 40th birthday my wife gave me 40000 bricks. over the years since then i’ve bought another 12-14000. i know for a fact that she’s bought me another 1452 bricks for christmas.

i made a christmas tree for my classroom–

and i’ve made several functioning chests of drawer(s)–

12 Likes

Sure, ok. The Globe Theater facsimile is 200 yards from the true theater’s original location. Would you boycott it for that reason? Or write a strong letter to Alan Moore for getting it all wrong in V for Vendetta?

5 Likes

Yeah, pretty.

news from the border?

1 Like

Nothing brings out the pet ants more than English history.

7 Likes

It turns out we have a small group of alt-right Mexicans protesting the caravan, which sounds about right. It’s kind of par for the course for Tijuanans to bad-mouth Hondurans or Guatemalans for wanting the same thing Mexicans want.
Also, the mayor of TJ is requesting assistance from the UN, for humanitarian crisis assistance. I hope it’s provided.

5 Likes

Thanks.

Stay safe.
I’m told that there are criminals, Muslims and bad hombres/s

2 Likes

If I won the big lottery, I wonder if I could afford to build a house from Lego blocks?

4 Likes
4 Likes

“ITS”…? :roll_eyes: