Lenovo support response says laptop "locked per our agreement with Microsoft" to Windows 10

this seems unlikely, even when Linux is part of the communistic conspiracy.

I think someone here recommended a US supplier. […] ha! found it! @hello_friends likes Emperor Linux

3 Likes

Not around here, anyway. And where there are computer stores, the lighting, noise, inability to test Linux on them, inability to test accessibility software in-store, etc. can be a problem. Although some allow users to buy, try, and return.

1 Like

So the real headline-not-headline here is that Lenovo is once again full of shit.

3 Likes

Osborne 1 or GTFO.

7 Likes

you’re looking for a brick-and-mortar computer shop? never thought of this possibility, I am quite sure I wasn’t in one this millenium

3 Likes

Well, I never thought of the possibility that some computers would have screens too bright to look at… After all the hardware and driver and keyboard-just-too-big-for-one-hand trouble I’ve had, it’s pretty important to be able to examine the computer before buying it, and try the computer with the option of returning it.

1 Like

Lenovo getting you down?

May I interest you in a system from System76!

Because F*** those guys.

6 Likes

nanny states FTW! the right of return without conditions is codified here

3 Likes

Assuming you’re serious, here’s a photo I just took in my office; I can make you a deal on the two items indicated with arrows:

7 Likes

I’ve had great luck with my System76 desktop, although I haven’t yet bought a laptop from them(*). (I also replace Ubuntu with Mint MATE, but that’s a personal preference.) I usually build my desktops, but the total priced out not that much more than similar individual components at the time, and I was assured of compatibility.

(* Although one is on my “soon to be purchased” list for within the next few months.)

Edit to add: I see that @lasermike026 beat me to this recommendation! Which really just means that’s at least two of us here that are perfectly happy with the company.

5 Likes

I’ve handled System76 laptops. They seem as good as any other.

1 Like

A fresnel overlay seems quite insane!

I was thinking of having a very thick, slightly darkened piece of glass between the modern display and the old framing. This would not curve it, obviously, but would obscure the panel’s technology, make its edges invisible, and provide a certain old-fashioned distance and oddness that I suspect would make it “register” right to the user.

1 Like

If you stick to the command line you could use something like this. (fullscreen of course)

7 Likes

I have an old Apricot that laughs at your Compaq, complete with wireless keyboard and tracker ball, and speech recognition.

I like the design too. I’ve not managed to break my last Lenovo, despite a fair amount of abuse, and the Linux support has been fantastic (from the community, not Lenovo, hahaha!). Let’s hope for a driver update from someone in the not too distant future. It would be nice if it would actually come from Intel.

1 Like

Neat! But will it run Linux?

1 Like

In my case, better posture cleared it right up.

11 Likes

No Fresnel lens? Are you made of money?

6 Likes

In the US Best Buy will price match online dealers, so I buy in a B&M store quite often; the BB in-store customer service is pretty good (their online service not so much). In one of our big local malls a Microsoft store opened up right across the walkway from the Apple Store; I admire them for the chutzpah implicit in that, also because they have a decent selection of non-MS hardware one can try out (including some Lenovos).

When I made my first major computer purchase (see photo above) I drove down to Chicago from Wisconsin where I was in school, and made the rounds of 8 or 9 computer shops before making a choice. I loved all those shops (which were run by pretty cool people), and miss those days.

1 Like

If posture explains my ulnar nerve trouble, and why it affects both arms, wht can I do about it without triggering post-exertional migraines? and foot pain?