Lesbian elders learn modern-day lesbian slang

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/29/lesbian-elders-learn-modern-da.html

6 Likes

I was under the impression that everything was Gay Slang?

2 Likes

I want to smooch & hug each one of them, with permission of coarse. I miss the gals / lady dudes from my time in San Francisco.

4 Likes

These ladies are complete O.W.L.s!

7 Likes

man, they were sharp as tacks. gotta love OWLs, haha. their young’un slang was a lot easier to suss out than the gay young’un slang to me.

3 Likes

They are so cute and smart. Joy of the day ;).

6 Likes

You’re forgetting that much of slang is black slang, actually.

4 Likes

And/or Yiddish.

2 Likes

Fair point!

So, the most original slang is probably from a black jewish lesbian?

10 Likes

I think I know the one you’re thinking of. She played the cornet, and hosted jam sessions in her lower east side walkup in the 30s.

7 Likes

That’s the one!

[ETA] Also, none of us would ever be that cool.

4 Likes

Phyllis reminds me a lot of one of my aunts.

1 Like

And Romani. It seems to be a feature of marginalised communities.

1 Like

Gogol Bordello said it in one of their songs (talking about culture instead of language - but same principle) - “you love our music/but you hate us/I know you still want us/to sit on back of the bus…”

5 Likes

She reminds me of my favorite high school guidance counselor, who is still a good friend 17 years later.

2 Likes

Related, I had a conversation recently about the use of the genre “Gypsy punk”. I know many people feel that any use of “Gypsy” is pejorative; but Gogol Bordello’s frontman is proudly Romani, and their album Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike coined (or perhaps merely popularized) the term “Gypsy punk”. So I’m not sure what to think. Obviously one member of a minority can’t give blanket permission to all white folks, but…I dunno.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.