Let me tell you a story about Herman Wallace, who spent 41 years in prison for a murder he didn't commit

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/13/let-me-tell-you-a-story-about.html

9 Likes

And this is why I am against a death penalty. If we can fuck up life imprisonment then I would bet money we have killed innocent people.

16 Likes

Good heavens. I thought something like that was illegal and would reduce someone to a basket case. Unfortunately the particular nature of the confinement is not discussed in the links.

7 Likes

tumblr_p40j6cWQcQ1vaqoiqo1_400

9 Likes

So Black Americans aren’t even safe in prison?

4 Likes

It’s crazy to me that the same people who rant and rail that the gummint can’t be entrusted to do anything right somehow cling to the belief that the legal system used to execute American citizens is beyond reproach.

10 Likes

There will always be mistakes and injustice. But wouldn’t it be good if we did our best to avoid them, and correct them?

3 Likes

Off the top of my head I can name four Canadians convicted of murder who were later exonerated, some after decades in prison. If we had had the death penalty, they would all have been forgotten by now.

3 Likes

They arrived in my country and released an innocent man.

The article says basically that his kid were forced to lie in their testimonies and he was eventually sentenced to 27 years in prison for a crime he did not commit.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.