Let's celebrate one of the first Black comic artists

Originally published at: Let's celebrate one of the first Black comic artists | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGBLrRuEAK0

8 Likes

While there were always females and creators of color in comics

10 Likes

Funny (?) how men who use “female” as a noun never seem to do so with “male.” :thinking:

7 Likes

To be fair, this author used both. It just always jumps out at me, unless I’m filling out a form. :woman_shrugging:t4:

11 Likes

I was reading stuff written by Moore and Morrison way before they arrived at DC.
But then I should be used to the US audience ignoring the importance of 2000AD by now.

2 Likes

Why would the US audience be especially concerned with a magazine not distributed in the US?

4 Likes

Because UK comics magazines were huge, like 2000AD and Deadline.

1 Like

Anyways… here’s MJ Hibbett performing his Alan Moore song…

5 Likes

If you think that then you’re most likely British, male, middle-aged and wrong.

Just because you enjoyed them, and why not, they were great, doesn’t mean millions of other people never even heard of them. Seeing as they weren’t published in the US and would have been up against hundreds of other mass-produced comics every month that had been running for around 40 years beforehand.

Besides, Deadline folded, as did nearly every other early 90s UK comic and even the Megazine was mostly reprints for years.
Nobody is saying you can’t like them, but they were not “huge”.

7 Likes

My understanding of how this happens:

• Cops refer to adolescent suspects as “males” and “females” when they legitimately don’t know if they’re children or adults

• Then cops decide, “fuck it, we’ll dehumanize everybody,” and start referring to regular grownups as “males” and “females”

• Some demographics interact with cops a lot more than others

• POC end up internalizing this usage and refer to themselves and each other this way

This isn’t a POC thing. Half the population of men do this “females” shit, whatever their race. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.