Let's talk about amputation

Originally published at: Let's talk about amputation | Boing Boing

5 Likes

A coworkers sister had an above the knee amputation as a child. It didn’t slow her down much though. She competed in the Olympics twice.

Her experience got me involved with the Open Prosthetics Project. That’s one OPP I am down with.

https://www.openprosthetics.org/

21 Likes

Meet the super humans

5 Likes

Yo, I don’t think we should talk about this…

3 Likes

Well let’s not cut the conversation short.

4 Likes

I was about 2 hours away from a below-knee amputation 10 years ago when I got necrotizing fasciitis. They saved my leg, though I lost muscle and tendons and had to have skin grafts. I’ve had a bit of a phobia around amputations ever since. Late last year, my mum had toes amputated and then her lower leg. This year, she had toes amputated and has been in the hospital for weeks. This actually helped me a little, once I pushed myself to watch it. Thanks!

19 Likes

An a mechanical engineer I’ve always been interested in the innovations in that field. And I’m a big fan of this guy’s YouTube videos chronicling the development of his super awesome mechanical hand:

7 Likes

Understandable!

Oh no! I hope she gets better soon.

10 Likes

Is Limbitless Solutions still working on improving their artificial limbs? I remember the BB article about Robert Downey Jr. presenting one young man with an Iron Man prosthesis.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.