Let's talk more about The Beginner's Guide, a game about games

[Read the post]

Why does the article only kinda talk about the game in the title, then veer off to talk about completely unrelated things?

Criticism aside, I played The Beginner’s Guide with my girlfriend, and it was an enjoyable (albeit short) experience. It almost captured the “video games as art” feeling, which is pretty much a first in my experience. Unlike other “walking simulators” it didn’t feel like it was trying to hard, nor, some what ironically, did it feel as annoyingly self-conscious. The ending almost ruined it though, not so much because of the content, but because of the execution. Just the end, though, the rest was brilliant.

I can’t actually think of the last time I played a video game that elicited a complex set of emotions (intentionally). Yes, I’ve played games that made me feel things, but never as a sustained, fully intentional function of their design.

I know that there is a lot of hate for people who hate walking simulators, but this game should make the case for those haters; outside of perhaps a few moments, no one has really nailed them before. This game highlights this well.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.