Letter to the Editor

We can likely send you one. I’ll check and PM you.

4 Likes

The point of the “No Victim Blaming” rule is pretty simple. Every community cultivates a particular style of discussion, either by explicit rules or by implicit social pressure. In Boing Boing’s case, they want to invite more discussion from women, minorities, gender-queer, homosexual and other groups that are and have been the targets of actual physical violence, as well as constant verbal abuse.

By having a rule explicitly forbidding victim blaming, it makes the BBS a slightly safer space for those people, so it’s not just full of blovating white male nerds like me talking over each other. If that’s your idea of discussion, there are lots of other sites that cater to that style of debate.

9 Likes

Wait wait wait waitwaitwaitwait

Jackhammer Jill is a banana now?

8 Likes

This is a good way of putting it. If someone insists on loudly dragging their ban-me bed into the forum and starts jumping up and down on it while daring us to ban them – and then get all weird and nasty at the editor just to make sure it happens – what the Dickens do they think will happen?

Hence, banned for “fantasizing about being banned”, irrespective of other rules broken.

This has happened many times. The basic formula is to whisper at the audience “watch me do something OK and get banned for it”, then act out the self-fulfilling prophesy and experience the bitter thrill of vindication. I don’t think many people are impressed; even if they do find the underlying point agreeable, they understand that it’s a disruptive and toxic form of performance

5 Likes

No, but Jillhammer Jack mig… no… you are all too young, too innocent.

5 Likes

This shit happens ALL the time over at PZ Myer’s blog (pharyngula) and it’s goram OBNOXIOUS. Look, in my opinion, either own your comments, or don’t leave them. Basically, self-made martyrs drive me fucking bonkers, and that’s what that sort of behavior is (no one likes a self-made martyr, @zieroh is all I’m sayin’, and the rest of your comment becomes moot to me after you start whining about how your opinion is totally going to get you banned; at that point, I can no longer take you seriously).

4 Likes

That pre-emtive “you’re gonna hate me, but…” cue is a classic boomer meme, hailing from an age where time and the discursive environment permitted a subsequent “prestige” where other participants in the discussion would see the unfolding and counterintuitive truth that no-one would really hate them for.

Along similar lines: Everyone, it is your responsibility to teach your folks and grandparents that when they boast about being politically incorrect, anyone under 40 will not realize they are talking about sassy disagreement with Reader’s Digest’s dating adive: they will just assume they are white supremacists.

11 Likes

Wonderful post. Wonderful thread! A picture I’ve never seen!

1 Like

If there was one sin Antinous punished above all others, it was victim blaming. The pining for the “old Boing Boing” going on here seems hilariously ironic.

15 Likes

Maybe they mean before there was a comment system at all. We did see fewer trolls, it’s true.

3 Likes

Dear Boingboing,

I never thought I’d be writing you…

22 Likes

As a person who agrees that the cop was wrong, this article, and the BB-sided comments here, have utterly failed to convince this random reader of their virtue. In fact, starting with the main article, and increasing with every defense of it has turned me from biased in BB’s favor since I like the articles and writers, to solidly convinced that the letter writer and zieroh have valid criticisms.

I haven’t seen any answers to their questions that hold water.

The only thing in your favor at all is that at least I am seeing these critical comments, so far. But that’s a very weak item by itself. For one thing, now I have to wonder what other comments have I not been allowed to see? I can’t actually know that you even have that rock bottom basic first ingredient of integrity. Instead I can know for a fact that you do delete some things and ban some people. That means, to overcome that automatically damning behavior, you would at the very least have to have very good arguments and answers to these criticisms.

The “my playground” argument is particularly noxious. So is being capricious “we keep some people we just happen to like, even though we ban others for breaking the same rules”. Though I suppose admitting it so forthrightly is something.

10 Likes

There’s the obviously obnoxious sort of victim blaming, but there’s also the patronizing sort of victim blaming that can derail a conversation, in which someone repeats all-too-familiar advice on how people can try to avoid victimization. Part of the problem is that whoever repeats the advice will usually be adamant that they’re being helpful by repeating what everyone in the conversation has already heard countless times.

6 Likes

Start your own blog. :slight_smile: It’s a thing you can do!

The reason I stick around here is even though they aren’t perfect at it, BoingBoing mods ARE pretty good about getting rid of the riff-raff, even if that included me on one occasion; I also like that they have “time outs” rather than just “buh-bye!” for good; that’s more than fair and reasonable, imo, and a great way to handle things. Honestly, I wish other blog mods were this active.

7 Likes

“Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one.”

A. J. Liebling

4 Likes

6 Likes

Well, Antonious doesn’t seem to be here anymore with his angry approach to middle-management. I think it’s better than it used to be.

4 Likes

We need cameras on every uniformed police officer in the United States, every time. I’m not sure it will vindicate as many of the causes celebe as some folks think it will, but it certainly will get us closer to the truth.

4 Likes

It’s impossible to judge this guy’s point without seeing the original post(s) he was banned for.

In the interests of openness and fairness, could you please print his original comment(s) so that we can form a reasoned opinion?

7 Likes

This has become a very interesting topic to me. One that I believe worthy of in depth discussion at BB. What is the dividing line between a victim and a fool? There are plenty of both in the world. If you come to harm by foolish behavior are you still a victim? I think not but it is a bit grey where the division is. I do believe you can blame the fool. If someone tells you not to go up the hill to the cave as there is a family of bears living there and it’s dangerous and you proceed up the hill and commence throwing rocks into the cave you may be injured by a bear and further you may not experience the kind of sympathy you might like. Here at BB you cannot blame the victim but there is little to no effort extended to determine if the victim was really more of a fool. It’s like saying we’re not allowed to mention a certain chemical was involved in a chemical reaction.

9 Likes