Lexi Alexander wants to know why there are no female directors on The Crown

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/07/lexi-alexander-wants-to-know-w.html

1 Like

A circumstance well worth drawing attention to, for sure. (4 directors, none female, show about a queen.)

But “outrage if someone produced a 10 episode mini series about King George and 4 women directors were hired” ? No, not so much, if at all, I suspect.

3 Likes

You are new to this planet, I guess?

7 Likes

Not at all. Just simply don’t think it would raise much of an eyebrow, and even if it did would fall well short of “outrage”.

1 Like

Counterpoint:

6 Likes

Well they let the main character be a woman, isn’t that enough?

(Sarcasm)

5 Likes

I’d agree. Other than hard core sexists, and anti-social justice warrior warriors, no one would care.

Most people don’t care who directs TV - at all. Some people follow movie directors, but again, most people don’t care, they want a good product. Heck, with TV I’d argue it is less important. A lot of shows have different directors for every other show. Yet the view probably never notices, as the directing is a consistent style that everyone adheres to.

Not to say that Hollywood, or what ever the equivalent in the UK is, doesn’t have a problem with a disproportionate amount of male directors, but that point of her argument was weak. Wondering why there wasn’t a female director in the series is fair criticism, though.

1 Like

Just to pluck a random but recent example: the new Ghostbusters.

All women when they’re supposed to be men? Heresy of the highest order.

5 Likes

Yeah but 1) that was actresses, not directors. You don’t see directors. and 2) That was mostly a small but vocal minority that seemed to be played up by Sony to stir up interest. Most people didn’t care if it was women or not, they just wanted the film to be good.

1 Like

Lexi Alexander @Lexialex

Imagine the outrage if someone produced a 10 episode mini series about King George and 4 women directors were hired without explanation

I think the “outrage” would be nonexistent. The reaction would most like be “well that’s interesting” and then the world would continue to spin.

2 Likes

Can we not pick a show that celebrates the queen as part of the inherently patriarchal institution of the monarchy as the hill to die on for feminism in the film industry? It’s absolutely correct to say that women directors face serious barriers in the industry, but I for one am glad that Amma Asante isn’t spending her time on this, and instead making movies exploring the people who were harmed by the empire the British monarchy was an integral part of. We need more women women directors, but much less stuff about the English aristocracy.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.