LG shows off transparent television

Originally published at: LG shows off transparent television - Boing Boing

2 Likes

Did I miss something? This is cool and all, but is there some use case that can only be satisfied by a transparent TV?

Only thing I could think of is being able to see whatever is on the screen from both sides, but any text would only be readable from one side.

Presumably, when the unit is turned off or in stand by, it won’t be a black square on the wall (or stand).

3 Likes

LG just seems to enjoy making… unique tvs

[two videos: a giant tablet on a stand/in a briefcase, and a screen that rises up out of its base as it unrolls]

3 Likes

The only reason I have a TV is so I don’t have to stare at the bloody awful wallpaper.
So, no, not for me, ta.

1 Like

Reminds me of a scene from The Marvels when Kamala is looking at a high-tech transparent tablet device from S.H.I.E.L.D. and asking if it’s the new iPad. When she’s told the material it’s displaying is classified she asks “then why is the screen see-through?”

A ubiquitous but ultimately silly sci-fi convention.

2 Likes

I’ve seen versions of this technology used for making very specific types of special effects, for example having an animated Goofy driving the locomotive in the new Mickey Mouse ride at Disneyland. But for home use it’s hard to see it as anything other than a gimmick.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.