LGBTQ people and Apple vs FBI

You’ve hit on a major intersection of the right’s support. The White Poor Christian Male, who are angry that they are poor.

I’ve known a few of these. Victimhood is a major tenet of the Christian faith. Even the fairly wealthy Christians I have met love to spin tales about how they’ve been “persecuted for their faith”. The blame for their circumstances is never their fault, but always things like affirmative action or somesuch. Sometimes, they complain about the “welfare state”, while pretending to not be on welfare.

Admittedly, for the white poor, it’s hard to see how their group really is the preferred group.

4 Likes

This attitude really pisses me off. I have known Christians who really were persecuted and had to flee their country and become refugees. The wealthy western Christians really don’t understand that they are in no way like the people I knew, in fact they have more in common with the people doing the persecution.

I am not saying “come back when you have had death threats” to them, What I am saying is “come back when you have stopped supporting people who tell other people who don’t share your religion how to live their lives!” I will support their right to be Christian, but I will stand against them if they are forcing LGBT people into “cures” that cause psychological damage or harassing people from other religions.

As for the white poor, it would be nice if more of them realised that their problems were caused by being poor, not by being white.

7 Likes

So according to you people whose lives may be in danger from whatever government they live under if their private information gets out are exactly like someone whose supervisors at a private company decided he was unfit for a promotion because of his public support for discrimination.

The next time you feel like dictating how others should feel make sure you have the facts first.

1 Like

Online privacy for LGBT people in countries like Uganda, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Jamaica (to name but a few) is incredibly important. (Sometimes it’s a matter of life or death.) Penalties for homosexual behavior include fines, prison (from 5 yrs to life depending upon the country), hard labor, corporal punishment (as much as 100 lashes in some countries) forced psychiatric “care”, and in some countries the death penalty. (hanging and stoning are the most common forms of capital punishment for LGBT people). Being “outed” can also result in loss of family and friends, loss of employment and housing, gay bashing, rape, and murder. For example, in Uganda they often print the names of LGBT people in the local paper which makes them targets for violence from the community. (Google David Kato Kisule)

7 Likes

Well I have read Apple’s security whitepaper on iOS cover-to-cover which suggests that updating the phone through DFU would wipe the Class Key from the phone and render the data unreadable. Since this method requires Apple to update the phone with signed “malware” and the only way to do that on a locked phone would be to put it in the DFU mode.

I have always treated Tim Cook’s statements, all other tech CEO statement who have come out in ‘support’, as branding exercise. I admit that’s quite cynical, but I have not yet received any information that has changed my view on that. I would love to be wrong on this.

And this is not unprecedented. For Example, Bell Labs regularly cooperated with intelligence agencies. Apple has unlocked phones in the past. They refuse now because in my opinion, they can’t comply with the order.

1 Like

I didn’t say Apple would do it. But I think they historically could, although it seems like a priority now that they make sure they can’t.

And look, a mysterious ‘third-party’ is making it so that the case the feds were about to lose is being pulled back from the docket… hmmmm. And before it sets precedent… hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.