LGBTQ people and Apple vs FBI

[Read the post]

4 Likes

It would be nice if FB held the same standards because then I wouldnā€™t have been outed as trans at the law firm I used to work at. It was seriously only an account to talk to family, and held barely anything, but still there was a picture from before I transitioned, and that was enough to make my life a living hell, and get accosted in a bathroom by the maintenance dude.

Iā€™m in the US, where issues are fairly minor, to be honest, but better privacy control that is freaking idiot proof would be safer.

33 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s a very good point. Any minority group, whether race, sexuality, creed, religion, or opinion, has a special understanding of the power of privacy and tolerance. (One reason why the LDS dislike Trump so much.)

Itā€™s also a reason why LGBTQ people should be horrified at Mozillaā€™s treatment of Brendan Eich, and should be understanding of desires for for freedom of association. However, people behave differently when theyā€™re the despised minority than when theyā€™re the majority. Itā€™s understandingly especially hard to be consistent and merciful when the new minority was the majority not too long ago and showed little consideration themselves. (And, societies and the world being heterogeneous, a minority in one place or situation can be a powerful majority in another.) Turnabout always feels like fair play.

1 Like

Nothing in the FBI case will change anything. If Apple can do it, thatā€™s a big if, theyā€™ll have to when a FISA warrant forces them to do so or already has. The DOJ case will go to the Supreme Court and will go on for years of appeals. During that time, legislation could change or peopleā€™s attitudes can.

I also sincerely doubt that Appleā€™s services work in places like China, UAE and Saudi Arabia without them co-operating with government surveillance. Every communications service either has to give them access or be banned. iMessage and iOS are freely sold in all these countries.

2 Likes

this is not about the capacity to do so.

Of course they can. And in some places they must.

This is about whether or not The U.S.A. is, from a legal precedent standpoint, one of those places

It would be, literally, unprecedented in this free nation of free people.

10 Likes

Hmmmmā€¦ No. Publicly donating money to a cause that is actively oppressing peopleā€™s rights is very different than, say, privately saying to a friend that you donā€™t support gay marriage, or privately voting in favor of a proposition removing gay peopleā€™s rights. If he had done either of the latter, you might have a better case.

But what do us petty little LGBTQ people know? Itā€™s clearly more about how this ā€˜turnaboutā€™ ā€˜feelsā€™ for us than, say, the parental rights or hospital visitation or healthcare or any of the other incredibly important rights that go alongside marriage.

16 Likes

Dudeā€™s already public donation in support of oppression was further publicized and people reacted saying ā€œfuck you oppressor!ā€.

His privacy was never violated.

Mozilla dropped him like a hot potato because his public support of oppression and denial of civil rights (and the shitstorm that followed) was contrary to their interests.

He chose to be on the wrong side of history, and nobody violated his rights. He had the right to express his opinion in words and with his money, but he has no right to freedom from the consequences of his speech.

22 Likes

I know several Transgendered folk of one stripe or another and Iā€™ve heard stories. Sorry you got outed.

6 Likes

Here, behind the Iron Curtain, before the Revolution, there was a joke.
We had the freedom of speech.
We didnā€™t necessarily have freedom after the speech.

12 Likes

As they say, ā€œbayonets cannot weave cloth.ā€

3 Likes

You could also reasonably frame it as
ā€œPeople who understand math vs the FBI.ā€
or
ā€œPeople who donā€™t want to live in a surveillance state so pervasive that it would make the Stasi cream their pants vs the FBI.ā€

3 Likes

As long as you allow data from place X to place Y, you canā€™t really break end to end strong encryption. It is just a bunch of 0s and 1s. iCloud can clearly be read with a warrant, but if a person chooses not to use iCloud to backup, then it canā€™t be read.

Which this particular terrorist clearly knew to avoid, at least with his work iPhone.

Which is the usual problem:
If you have a smart criminal/terrorist, breaking onto his/her phone is likely useless anyway, because theyā€™re concerned thereā€™s something they donā€™t know about the NSA.
If you have a dumb criminal/terrorist, breaking onto his/her phone is probably not necessary.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve never really understood the tempest about Brendan Eich. If heā€™d donated to the KKK, I think a lot less people would have caredā€“a person who is not merely racist, but so racist that he gives money to support the cause of racism, is clearly not someone who can be expected to fairly administer a multiracial group of employees. Why is it different when the target is a sexual minority instead of a racial one?

9 Likes

False equivalence is false.

5 Likes

I meanā€¦ or you could let people discuss the more specific and troublesome issues that LGBT people face in relation to this issue. Iā€™m going to wildly guess, given the USā€™s history, itā€™s possible we have different experiences than the larger group of ā€œPeople who understand mathā€.

4 Likes

I wasnā€™t trying to be dismissive, and Iā€™m sorry I came off that way.

What I was getting at is that thereā€™s a lot of groups on the right side here, and itā€™s kind of shocking that all of those groups together still donā€™t seem to have a majority. Even if you include everyone who even cares whether LGBTQ people are persecuted, it still probably doesnā€™t add up to a majority, because of overlap between the groups.

Iā€™m going to go out on a limb here and guess white christian male?

One thing Iā€™ve noted (not being either a white christian male, or LBGQT) is that 1) If LBGQT became the ā€œmajorityā€ some time in the recent past, nobody told me. Sure thereā€™s more support/empathy than there was in even the recent past, but society has a long way to go still before even basic equality is reached (much less this fantasy of being a ā€œmajorityā€ in power). And 2) One of the favored positions (also a fantasy) is that white christian males in the US are somehow now a downtrodden minority. Yes, as a group, their power is no longer absolute, but theyā€™re still sitting pretty at the top.

Iā€™m in no way some keyboard SJW, but it pisses me off when I see groups that still dominate and hold power over others bitch and moan that theyā€™re being oppressed. ā€œoh noes! someone wants rights equal to those Iā€™ve always had! That threatens me because Iā€™m no longer the sole party that enjoys those rights! Iā€™m being oppressed!ā€. Whatā€™s really up is that the previously uber dominant group is a little sad that their power is a wee bit less than it formerly was and that they have to share privilege with the previously subordinate. Iā€™m sorry that you donā€™t get to exercise total control over the rights of others anymore, and that those others may have rights near or equivalent to yoursā€¦

But then I guess there are still a lot of butthurt people in the south complaining about the loss of white privilege and who are openly and fervently dreaming of the day ā€œwhen the South will rise againā€ā€¦

6 Likes

I am both of these as well as southern and I am quite happy when the balance starts to shift away from the group I belong to having implicit authority and a blank check to do as they please to other people.

That isnā€™t authority or power, that is xenophobic smallmindnedness and it needs to stop.

Plus I donā€™t want a world like what I grew up in to be the world my niece grows up in where she gets to make a third less, racism is alive in well, half the time if someone is raped she was ā€˜asking for itā€™ and a million other dipshit things that happens in the world. All I generally see (beyond a few folk that donā€™t quite get the ramifications of what they say or not caring that simply twisting thigns around wonā€™t make things right) is everyone else going 'oi, stop steppin on my face, and us white guys are havign to comply, preferably before said face gets stepped on to begin with.

Not such a bad thing to want really, fair and even treatment.

6 Likes

seem really is the key word there, isnā€™t it?

Couldnā€™t agree with you more.

But I will note that there is a big difference between ā€œfair and even treatmentā€ and ā€œability to freely actively work towards the suppression/destruction of the rights of others without any consequenceā€. @johnthacker doesnā€™t quite seem to get the difference between the two.

And itā€™s not by any means that being a white christian male doesnā€™t mean that you canā€™t hold more of a socially enlightened view. Not all white guys are neo-naziā€™s, but most neo naziā€™s are white guysā€¦ (and someone can probably find evidence of non-white neo-naziā€™s, but you get the point).

It seems like very often when thereā€™s any push back from minorities of any stripe the conversation somehow turns into ā€œwhite males are the new minorityā€ or ā€œChristians are so persecuted in the USAā€ etcā€¦ These things simply arenā€™t true. It may feel like it at times because these two groups in particular are losing their carte blanche to do whatever they want to whoever they want, but losing the ability to persecute others isnā€™t the same as being persecuted oneself.

Now, making sure that the pendulum doesnā€™t swing beyond ā€œfair and equalā€ to ā€œpreferential treatmentā€ is important, but may require an outside viewpoint to establish just where the lines lieā€¦

2 Likes