Lichess is the best chess site

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/14/lichess-is-the-best-chess-site.html

4 Likes

It’s a solid position - what you were doing was setting up your pawn structure. A good player knows how to deal with that by sacrificing/trading pieces and messing it all up.

7 Likes

“FORWARD MY PAWNS! FORWARD!”

I never got into chess. I poked at it a few times, but it didn’t take. That may have been my grandfather’s fault for trying to make me play and like it. IIRC he was the kind of teacher that employed the smack-down method.

3 Likes

I will never understand people like that. I guess some people play games for the soothing ritual aspect?

In this game the white player quit and msgd me “what the fuck are you doing?”

Lichess: now bringing the griefing potential of MMORPGs to chess.

5 Likes

tenor%20(14)

1 Like

7 Likes

Let the Wookie win.

3 Likes

I hope your response was “blogging about you!”

10 Likes

I expect you will get sent to a pawn-a-tentury.

2 Likes

That’s about how often I play chess

1 Like

In the game of chess, you can never let your adversary see your pieces.

8 Likes

Futurama__Brannigan__Checkmate_full

15 Likes

Thoughts from a bad player. I guess I’d move the white bishop (Bc4) to break the formation and free up the knight.

Always choose rock.

1 Like

It’s a fantastic site. Both of my kiddos have been using it for over a year. They have a few really neat features that I’ve never seen before.

1. The tactics and puzzles are taken from real games on the fly and after you try a puzzle, you can then go and explore the actual game it came from.
  2. Their studies feature is fantastic. Most of them are user contributed and they go through all the basic and intermediate openings, end games, etc. Many are nicely annotated with feedback from the community. My kids use it as a way to record and analyze their games.
  3. There’s another feature where after you play a game, you can go back and inspect errors and blunders and try to find a better move.

It’s also nice that it’s all free and open source. A very well done website.

1 Like

The lichess phone app is also neat. A great occupier during a toilet break. I like to think the dump I’m taking is on my opponents face … and then (s)he usually checkmates me.

a good way to get people mad is to use only the “Pawn” characters. Oftentimes players will end up snarled up on them and it’s apparently quite humiliating.

OTOH, if you play against a highly ranked player, he/she will tear that pawn tactic up lickety-split.

I think it’s black’s turn, but for white, it seems like pawn to e4 makes more sense. Puts the Queen into play attacking black’s queenside rook.

That’s what I kept thinking!

Much more interesting than actual chess.