Lies Actually

Liz Winstead

Actually, she spells it Lizz. Lets try to respect her name choices.

2 Likes

To add to your discussion of (basically) ā€œthere are always more than two sides to an issueā€, when it comes to this particular one I think it is painfully obvious there is a spectrum of opinion. I donā€™t think there are two sides, or six sides, but 600 sides :).

However in some cases broad labels are appropriate. I believe Anti-Choice is appropriate, and for the fuckwits that attack clinics and hospitals ā€œCriminalā€ is also appropriate. Homicidal Maniac may be uttered, if youā€™ve had a scotch or two.

12 Likes

While the latest attack is fresh in our minds, really, there were like 7 lethal attacks in the late 22 years. With 8 other attempts in the last 33 years, That is pretty damn uncommon. So the number of nuts actually taking lethal action is very, very small, even among the most hard-line of believers.

I honestly do not think someone like Rush talking about abortion is prompting people to go out and do bad things. Just like studies have shown video games, movies, and TV arenā€™t more likely to make you go out and hurt others either.

Though to be clear, this doesnā€™t excuse any misinformation. Nor anyone who actually promotes violence.

The problem with this issue is that it isnā€™t a black/white one, but many, many shades of grey. People for and against it both exaggerate and distort the other sideā€™s perspectives to the point everyone is a cartoon.

There are fewer things in this world that require more delicacy and thought when dealing with.

2 Likes

One side shouts. The other kills people.

There is no moral equivalence here.

8 Likes

I know you probably didnā€™t intend to, but your statement could apply to either side.

5 Likes

japhroaig was right - you are a voice of reason.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure this is a fair comparison, though. The reason video games, movies and TV donā€™t make people violent is because the vast majority of people compartmentalize reality from fiction. The idea that they would make people more violent is based on the idea that the rush of killing the bad guys in the videogame would make you seek that rush in reality, but most people who enjoy playing a game wouldnā€™t at all enjoy shooting at real people. The argument that Rush is prompting people to action is different - misinformation really does cause people to act badly all the time. but Iā€™m going to go with Voltaire here, ā€œCertainly any one who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.ā€

That doesnā€™t mean this explanation is sufficient, but at least the mechanism by which false information could lead to violence and injustice is a real thing, whereas the videogame-to-rea-violence was just a made up.

13 Likes

Arenā€™t you doing so right now? If not, why not?

2 Likes

Perhaps. But whether anyone on the pro-life side kills for their beliefs is inarguable. Whether anyone on the pro-choice side kills for their beliefs is quite arguable indeed: typically, abortions arenā€™t performed for ideological but for pragmatic reasons, whereas the killings by the pro-choice side are undeniably ideological. And, of course, there is some question of whether fetuses should count as ā€œpeopleā€. If they donā€™t, then the pro-choice side doesnā€™t kill any people at all.

At any rate, itā€™s clear the equivalence youā€™re proposing falls apart the second we look at it more than superficially.

Perhaps most importantly, pro-life/anti-choice* positions are necessarily predicated on metaphysical premises. This means that the assumptions which lead pro-life/anti-choice folks to believe that abortion is murder are neither falsifiable nor verifiable.

So to the extent that pro-choice folks kill ā€œpeopleā€, they do so for pragmatic reasons. To the extent that pro-life people kill folks, they do so for purely ideological, unfalsifiable reasons.

*I donā€™t understand whatā€™s wrong with ā€œanti-choiceā€. They donā€™t want abortion to be a choice. ā€œPro-lifeā€ folks also tend to be pro-war and pro-death penalty, so it seems to me that ā€œpro-lifeā€ is actually misleading whereas ā€œanti-choiceā€ correctly describes their position on the issue.

@Chesterfield: suppose ā€œpro-lifeā€ folks wanted to call themselves as a group ā€œthe only moral human beingsā€. Should I be constrained to use that label?

15 Likes

Because itā€™s not fair if we donā€™t use his preferred terminology, doncha know. He refuses to discuss anything with people who donā€™t share his premises apparently.

3 Likes

Uh, ohā€¦ there you said it.

They may have committed these crimes with our with out prodding or with or with out misinformation. There is also a difference between exposure and being actually groomed for something. That is me reading articles or listening to the radio would have a different affect on me if someone talked to me one and one prompting me to do things.

And some people are not stable, engross themselves in a subject, and let it take them over. In which case maybe they are influenced by outside forces, but they were messed up to begin with.

But I think if the power of Rush is mostly to raise local temperatures slightly when talking. Otherwise I think we would see a lot more violence if he and his ilk were as dangerous as people want to paint them as. It is possible that things like that could affect already unstable people.

Consider there are actual Islamic leaders who arenā€™t saying, ā€œThis is terrible, someone should do something.ā€ but literally saying, ā€œThis is terrible, you should literally kill the people doing these things.ā€ and yet the amount of Muslim violence (for the most part) is very low.

1 Like

Discordant allies are nothing new in the world. But there is still a binary distinction: those who respect each and every womanā€™s body sovereignty, and those who believe there are any conditions under which she should be deprived of her body sovereignty. An unborn fetus is not a sentient being. Even if it were, which itā€™s not, to use the violence of the state to forcibly enslave one being to another would be an unconscionable act. To enslave someone to an un-seperated part of her own body simply because it can potentially become one is nothing short of tyrannical.

11 Likes

http://cursor.org/stories/fascismintroduction.php

Itā€™s also possible that things like that could have a slow, cumulative effect by normalizing extremist rhetoric until what was once considered ā€œfringeā€ or ā€œextremistā€ becomes considered ā€œmainstreamā€. Those that were once part of the ā€œfringeā€, upon unexpectedly finding themselves in the mainstream, may believe they have their fellow travelersā€™ tacit support in putting their more extreme beliefs into action.

6 Likes

Youā€™re never constrained to use any label.

It seems to me though that anybody that would call themselves the only moral human beings arenā€™t looking for a reasonable discussion so I would probably not engage them. Itā€™s a pretty strong signal. I think applying the anti-choice label is also sending a signal.

Your first ā€“ and, so far, only ā€“ point on this comment thread was to complain that people are using the term ā€œanti-choiceā€ instead of the ā€œpreferredā€ label, so donā€™t be disingenuous. Answer my question in the context in which it was asked.

How about ā€œpro-lifeā€? Isnā€™t that choice implying that the other side is ā€œanti-lifeā€? Is that a reasonable thing to do?

It could be sending one or more of any number of signals, including the following (I think reasonable) signals:

1. ā€œPro-lifeā€ is a self-serving but inaccurate label as most ā€œpro-lifeā€ folks are pro-death penalty and pro-war
  2. ā€œPro-lifeā€ unfairly implies anyone who disagrees is ā€œpro-deathā€ or ā€œanti-lifeā€

Edit: So ā€œpro-lifeā€ implies unfair things about the opponents of ā€œpro-lifeā€. Does ā€œpro-choiceā€? Is there anything about ā€œanti-choiceā€ that unfairly characterizes the beliefs of ā€œpro-lifeā€ folks the way ā€œanti-lifeā€ or ā€œpro-deathā€ unfairly characterizes the beliefs of ā€œpro-choiceā€ folks? If so, what is it about ā€œanti-choiceā€ that unfairly characterizes the beliefs of those who think that abortion should not be a choice?

Iā€™m also curious if youā€™re ever going to be able to get past this pointless semantic discussion and onto the rather more interesting object level question of whether abortion really is murder and whether vigilante killings against abortion clinic workers are justified.

16 Likes

it isnā€™t binary, just as any surgery isnā€™t binary. but it should be covered by the same governance all surgeries are covered by. basically i think roe v. wade established a sane, reasonable way to approach the issue, and it has been devastatingly eroded. (but it ainā€™t binary :smiley: (I expect noogies for being a pedant))

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œwysinwyg, post:49, topic:70667ā€]
Perhaps most importantly, pro-life/anti-choice* positions are necessarily predicated on metaphysical premises. This means that the assumptions which lead pro-life/anti-choice folks to believe that abortion is murder are neither falsifiable nor verifiable. [/quote]

Mmm yes and no. I think metaphysics can play a role, but there are many who come to a conclusion on what is right or wrong trying to apply logic and reasoning. The Catholic churchā€™s position is pretty rational and it is hard, I think, to really completely disagree with their view.

First off - is life sacred? It is worth protecting? Most of us would say yes. Most of us would agree that it would be wrong to murder someone or enslave them. We should have a basic human right to life.

OK, if you can agree with that statement, then the you have to ask ā€œWhat is life? When does it start?ā€ There is both the sort of metaphysics cropping up, but also the pragmatic scientific answer. I had a nephew born too soon and only lived a day. But he was alive for that day. While he didnā€™t live, there had been babies that little who did live. Since science canā€™t really give us a hard answer though on when life starts, they Catholics just roll it back to the earliest point - conception. And even if you disagree with that, it is a logical conclusion.

Of course not every conception results in life. 101 things can go wrong. And I donā€™t agree with things like their aversion to the birth control pill - though to be fair - they ARE being consistent in their reasoning.

Yes, I think you are right - pragmatic vs ideological. But does that matter? John Brown killed people to end Slavery. Now killing is wrong, but so is slavery. Were his actions for the greater good? Were they excusable? Are there cases where killing is excusable? Itā€™s very hard to draw a line though sometimes, isnā€™t it?

For the record I am 100% killing or hurting abortion providers. I also think anyone who is pro-life needs to also be pro-welfare and the like.

I concede that point.

The Catholic churchā€™s position is predicated on a metaphysical belief in a soul, and furthermore the metaphysical belief that the soul is created at the moment of conception.

That could be ā€œrationalā€, depending on your definition of ā€œrationalā€, but it is also most certainly metaphysical and therefore neither falsifiable nor verifiable.

Sacred ā€“ this word literally just means ā€œimportant for metaphysical reasonsā€. ā€œright to lifeā€ ā€“ rights are metaphysical constructs, and from my perspective, almost certainly just figments.

Is life worth protecting? Maybe, but consider the notion that cows have souls. This is every bit as defensible as the premise that human beings have souls (i.e. not at all). But if itā€™s true, it means that essentially all Americans are literally worse than Hitler. We believe some life is worth protecting, and that some isnā€™t, but not in principled ways (so pro-life folks think itā€™s perfectly OK to invade foreign countries and inevitably kill thousands of human beings, including pregnant women and babies).

Restrictions on slavery seem to be fairly new to the human experience; similar for aversion to murder.

The scientific answer isnā€™t especially pragmatic in this case: both the egg cell and sperm cell are alive before the moment of conception, but frequently fertilized eggs die before transplantation. Thereā€™s no obvious point where a ā€œnew lifeā€ begins, or where a discrete entity comes into existence. Biology is under no obligation to play nice with our ontological schemas. In this case, it doesnā€™t.

Which is why I like to approach the question this way: ā€œshould abortion be legal?ā€ My premise is that the purpose of law is to provide social stability, not enforce morality. Based on evidence, abortion does not undermine social stability whereas murder of adult human beings does. If anything, evidence seems to suggest that abortion promotes social stability to a small degree. Thus, it should be legal.

Thatā€™s logical and does not rely on metaphysics. (In fact, it denies a role for metaphysics in the law.)

16 Likes

I think you are being deliberately obtuse. The pro-life and pro-choice camps have selected those labels because they describe well what that particular group values the most.